The Hindu Editorial (Trump again) – Jul 06, 2021
The Trump Organization, the company owned by former U.S. President Donald Trump, has been charged by authorities in New York state on 15 felony counts including for committing a scheme to defraud,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Trump again) – Jul 06, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (Trump again) – Jul 06, 2021:
- charge (noun) – accusation, allegation, indictment.
- GOP (abbreviation) – Grand Old Party, is a nickname for the Republican Party of the USA.
- charge (verb) – accuse of, indict for, arraign for.
- felony (noun) – crime, lawbreaking, misconduct, malpractice.
- count (noun) – a separate charge in an indictment.
- defraud (verb) – swindle, deceive, cheat.
- conspiracy (noun) – (unlawful) plan/plot, intrigue, collaboration/deception, collusion.
- larceny (noun) – theft, stealing, robbery.
- falsify (verb) – fake, forge, counterfeit.
- prosecutor (noun) – a lawyer who presents the government’s case against someone accused of a crime; State counsel.
- sweeping (adjective) – complete, total, thorough; unlimited, unrestricted.
- audacious (adjective) – bold, daring, fearless, unafraid; ill-mannered, outrageous, shocking.
- fraudulent (adjective) – dishonest, unlawful, unethical, unprincipled.
- undeclared (adjective) – (of taxable income) unstated, unexpressed, unmentioned.
- remuneration (noun) – payment, earnings, wages.
- salvo (noun) – aggressive act, offensive, charge.
- conduct (noun) – performance, behaviour, way of working.
- indictment (noun) – a formal charge, accusation, allegation (of a serious misconduct/wrongdoing).
- at hand (phrase) – readily available, handy, within reach; nearby, coming soon, about to happen.
- compensation (noun) – payment, repayment, settlement (for loss/damage).
- the tip of the iceberg (phrase) – if something is the tip of the iceberg, it is a small part of a much larger issue. This phrase is being used while talking about a problem.
- in relation to (phrase) – regarding, concerning, with reference to, in connection with.
- Attorney (noun) – lawyer, legal adviser, legal representative, prosecuting counsel.
- District Attorney (DA) (noun) – the chief prosecutor representing a U.S. state in a local government area, typically a county.
- compliance (noun) – conformity, observance, observation, accordance, adherence.
- jury (noun) – a body/committee/council of people (sworn to give a verdict in a legal case).
- subpoena (noun) – it means a written order that commands someone to appear in court to give evidence; order, writ, summons.
- illicit (adjective) – illegal, unlawful, against the law.
- associate (noun) – partner, colleague, confederate; accomplice, collaborator.
- affair (noun) – relationship, relations.
- far-reaching (adjective) – widespread, sweeping, overarching, extensive, profound, comprehensive.
- characteristically (adverb) – typically, usually, habitually.
- ongoing (adjective) – current, existing, continuing.
- witch hunt (noun) – it means to find and punish people believed to be evil- even if they were not. It does also mean an unfair campaign by one side against its political opponents.
- radical (adjective) – leftist, left-wing.
- there is no escaping (phrase) – used to mention that something is certainly true/real and it cannot be denied.
- stick (verb) – be upheld, hold, be believed, gain credence, be regarded as valid.
- scope (noun) – extent, range, purview; purpose, end, or intention.
- hobble (verb) – restrict/control/limit the activity or development of something.
- distraction (noun) – disturbance, intrusion, interference, obstruction, hindrance.
- run (noun) – an attempt to secure election to political office.
- given (preposition) – considering, taking into account, bearing in mind.
- holdings (noun) – possessions, belongings, valuables.
- violation (noun) – breach, breaking, non-observance.
- emolument (noun) – payment/salary (from employment or office); advantage, profit, or gain received as a result of one’s employment or one’s holding of office.
- clause (noun) – section, point, requirement, condition, provision.
- The (Domestic) Emoluments Clause of the U.S. Constitution (noun) – The purpose of the Domestic Emoluments Clause is to preserve the President’s independence. Under the Clause, Congress may neither increase nor decrease the President’s compensation during his term, preventing the legislature from using its control over the President’s salary to exert influence over him.
- roll around (phrasal verb) – happen/occur again.
- outsider (noun) – non-member, alien, newcomer; dissenter, dissident.
- evidently (adverb) – obviously, palpably, seemingly, apparently.
- run-of-the-mill (adjective) – ordinary, commonplace, standard, forgettable.
- plutocrat (noun) – a person with (actual) political authority/power due to his/her great wealth; rich person, capitalist, (business) tycoon, (business) magnate, millionaire, billionaire, multimillionaire.
- elite (noun) – high society people; the group of most powerful people in a society; best.
- bent on (adjective) – determined on, insistent on, fixed on, hell-bent on, firm about.
- social cost (noun) – a bad or unpleasant effect that a business has on people/society.
- ranks (noun) – The people belonging to a group or class.
- commentary (noun) – narration, description, account; explanation, interpretation, analysis.
- state (noun) – condition.
- prospects (noun) – possibilities, potential, expectations, outlook, future.
- conservative (adjective) – right-wing, traditionalist.