The Hindu Editorial (School ranks) – Jun 08, 2021
The Union Education Ministry has been attempting to get States into a competitive mode in upgrading their school education system by recognising progress… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (School ranks) – Jun 08, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (School ranks) – Jun 08, 2021:
- Performance Grading Index (PGI) (noun) – a tool to provide insights on the status of school education in States and UTs including key levers that drive their performance and critical areas for improvement.
- index (noun) – indicator, measure, gauge.
- nudge (verb) – push, prod, encourage, prompt.
- political will (noun) – political desire/intention.
- recognise (verb) – acknowledge, accept, admit; officially approve, certify, accredit, endorse.
- transformative (adjective) – life-changing, forward-thinking, progressive.
- imperative (noun) – necessary condition, precondition, essential requirement.
- hall of fame (noun) – a group of people who performed exceptionally well in a particular activity.
- fall short of (phrase) – fail to meet/reach; be deficient/inadequate/insufficient.
- slab (noun) – category.
- heartening (adjective) – encouraging, cheering, promising, gratifying.
- noteworthy (adjective) – worthy of mention, worth taking a look at, interesting, important.
- middling (adjective) – average, normal, medium.
- make progress (phrase) – move forward, make strides; proceed, advance, improve.
- marginal (adjective) – minimal, minor, slight, small.
- merely (adverb) – only, simply, just.
- tweak (verb) – adjust, modify, alter, change.
- regress (verb) – go backwards, revert, relapse slip back (to a less developed state).
- equity (noun) – fairness, justness, neutrality, impartiality, egalitarianism.
- infrastructure (noun) – the basic physical or organisational structure for something (to function properly).
- self-report (verb) – give details about one’s condition.
- vet (verb) – assess, evaluate, scrutinize, inspect.
- National Achievement Survey (NAS) (noun) – a representative sample of schools from all districts in India aimed at understanding the health of the education system in government and government aided schools. Findings from the NAS will be used for formulating policies, planning and pedagogical interventions to improve student learning.
- deprived (adjective) – disadvantaged, underprivileged, poverty-stricken, impoverished.
- bridge the gulf/gap (phrase) – try to find a way to reduce the gap and bring the two separate viewpoints together.
- transparent (adjective) – open/candid, forthright, straightforward, honest.
- in the public realm/domain (phrase) – if something (e.g. information) is in the public domain, people generally know about it since it is no secret.
- seek (verb) – try to find, attempt.
- tap (verb) – make use of, put to use, use, utilize, deploy, exploit.
- laudable (adjective) – praiseworthy, commendable, admirable.
- budget (verb) – allocate, allot, assign, earmark.
- universalisation (noun) – the process of making something available for all.
- carry out (phrasal verb) – conduct, perform, implement, execute, bring about.
- renaissance (noun) – revival, renewal, re-emergence reappearance.
- decade (noun) – a period of ten years.
- on the lines of (phrase) – approximately similar to something.
- Meiji-era (noun) – The Meiji period/era is a Japanese era that extended from September 1868 through July 1912 when the country was under the rule of the great Emperor Mutsuhito. The Meiji Era or Meiji Period was a time of incredible transformation in Japanese society.
- contend with (phrasal verb) – deal with, cope with, face, grapple with (a difficult or unpleasant situation).
- patchy (adjective) – erratic, irregular, fluctuating, uneven.
- to the fore (phrase) – predominant, most important, dominant, major/main (position).
- pandemic (noun) – the worldwide spread of a new disease; The illness spreads around the world and typically affects a large number of people across a wide area.
- shadow (noun) – a trace of something.
- persist (verb) – continue, remain, linger, stay.
- foreseeable (adjective) – unsurprising, predictable, expected, anticipated reasonably.
- subsidy (noun) – also called subvention; a financial contribution granted to help an industry or business, mostly given by a government, in order to keep the price of service/goods at a low level.
- be on firm ground (phrase) – be well-supported with resources and also in a secure situation.
- resource (verb) – give with resources.
- the weakest link (phrase) – the most vulnerable point/thing in a system.
- Right to Education (RTE) Act (noun) – the Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act or Right to Education Act (RTE) is an Act, of the Parliament of India enacted on 4 August 2009 under Article 21-A in the Constitution of India, which provides free and compulsory education of all children in the age group of six to fourteen years as a Fundamental Right.
- envisage (verb) – foresee, predict, anticipate, expect, envision, imagine, contemplate, visualize.