The Hindu Editorial (Fair wind) – Jun 08, 2021
If everything aligns, India could see a third consecutive year of surplus rainfall. The IMD has said that monsoon rains will likely be 101% of the Long Period Average (LPA) of 88 cm. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Fair wind) – Jun 08, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (Fair wind) – Jun 08, 2021:
- India Meteorological Department (IMD) (noun) – an agency under the Ministry of Earth Sciences of the Government of India which is responsible for meteorological observations, weather forecasting and seismology. It has the responsibility for forecasting, naming and distributing warnings for tropical cyclones in the Northern Indian Ocean region, including the Malacca Straits, the Bay of Bengal, the Arabian Sea and the Persian Gulf.
- projection (noun) – forecast, prediction, calculation, estimate.
- bright spot (noun) – something that is good (in a bad situation).
- align (verb) – (of different things) orient, place, position, set appropriately.
- consecutive (adjective) – continuous.
- surplus (adjective) – excess.
- likely (adverb) – probably, in all probability, presumably, doubtlessly.
- long period average (LPA) (noun) – LPA is the average rainfall received by the country as a whole during the south-west monsoon, for a 50-year period. The current LPA is 88 cm, based on the mean (average) rainfall over the years 1951 and 2000.
- forecast (noun) – prediction, indication, projection, prognosis, speculation, calculation (of future events or trends).
- short of (phrase) – less than.
- rain-fed agriculture (noun) – agriculture that depends on natural rainfall rather than irrigation.
- distribution (noun) – spreading, dispersal (over an area).
- translate (verb) – change, convert, alter, transform.
- propitious (adjective) – favourable, auspicious, promising, optimistic, advantageous, hopeful.
- premise on (verb) – base something on.
- veer (verb) – change, deviate, diverge.
- sea/ocean surface temperature (SST) (noun) – the water temperature close to the ocean’s surface.
- equatorial (adjective) – near the equator. (tropical/equatorial -relating to the region of the Earth near to the equator and between the Tropic of Cancer in the northern hemisphere and the Tropic of Capricorn in the southern hemisphere).
- Indian Ocean Dipole (IOD) (noun) – it is defined by the difference in the sea surface temperature between the two equatorial areas of the Indian Ocean – a western pole near the Arabian Sea (in the western Indian Ocean) and an eastern pole closer to the Bay of Bengal (in the eastern Indian Ocean). The IOD affects the climate of Southeast Asia, Australia and other countries across the Indian Ocean.
- as of now (noun) – from now on, henceforth, from the present moment.
- unlikely (adjective) – doubtful, implausible, improbable, questionable.
- influence (noun) – effect, impact.
- prevailing (adjective) – existing; current, present.
- reservoir (noun) – a source of water supply; pool, lake, pond.
- flip side (noun) – other side.
- bounteous (adjective) – bountiful, abundant, munificent, generous.
- flash flood (noun) – sudden flood, inundation, swamping, deluge.
- landslide (noun) – a landslide is defined as the movement of a mass of rock, debris, or earth down a slope. Landslides are a type of “mass wasting,” which denotes any down-slope movement of soil and rock under the direct influence of gravity; landslip, rockfall, mudslide, earthfall/slip.
- outbreak (noun) – outburst, flaring up, breakout, sudden appearance/occurrence of something.
- exceptionally (adverb) – unexpectedly, remarkably, exceedingly, especially.
- exceedingly (adverb) – extremely, exceptionally, especially, tremendously.
- probability (noun) – possibility, chance.
- dynamical monsoon model (noun) – In this model, the climate on any particular day is simulated on supercomputers and meteorologists observe the changing daily output – much like a computer simulation of an event is allowed to unfold over time. The dynamical models generate forecasts based on evolving weather patterns.
- statistical monsoon model (noun) – the traditional statistical model equates relationships of physical parameters, such as for instance sea surface temperatures, snowfall, the temperature of landmass etc with the actual observed rainfall in the past.
- deploy (verb) – use, utilize, employ, make use of.
- infrastructure (noun) – the basic physical or organisational structure for something (to function properly).
- eventuality (noun) – a possible outcome, possibility.
- wipe out (phrasal verb) – eliminate, abolish, remove (completely).
- potential (adjective) – possible, probable, likely.
- worthwhile (adjective) – valuable, helpful, useful.
- sow (verb) – plant, seed.
- crop (noun) – a plant that can be grown and harvested extensively for profit or subsistence.
- Minimum Support Price (MSP) (noun) – it is a form of market intervention by the Government of India to give guaranteed price and assured market to the farmers and protect them from the price fluctuations and market imperfections. The guaranteed price and assured market are expected to encourage higher investment and in the adoption of modern farming practices.
- tidings (noun) – news, information, reports.