The Hindu Editorial (Save the deal) – Apr 13, 2021
The Vienna talks between the remaining members of the Iran nuclear deal — China, Russia, the U.K., France, Germany and Iran — have raised hopes for the revival of the agreement from which then President Donald Trump unilaterally withdrew the U.S. in May 2018. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Save the deal) – Apr 13, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (Save the deal) – Apr 13, 2021:
- deal (noun) – agreement, pact, compact, treaty.
- run out (phrasal verb) – be used up, be exhausted, be finished.
- Iran nuclear deal (or) Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) (noun) – JCPOA, known commonly as the Iran nuclear deal or Iran deal, is an agreement on the Iranian nuclear program reached in Vienna on 14 July 2015, between Iran and the P5+1 (China, France, Germany, Russia, the United Kingdom, and the United States) together with the European Union.
- revival (noun) – re-establishment, reintroduction, restoration, bringing back.
- unilaterally (adverb) – used to indicate something done by a person/country without approval/agreement from other people/countries involved in the situation.
- diplomat (noun) – ambassador, envoy, emissary, consul.
- revive (verb) – restore, reintroduce, re-establish, bring back.
- delegation (noun) – a body of delegates/representatives; diplomatic mission, commission, deputation.
- envoy (noun) – diplomat, consul, ambassador; representative, delegate, mediator.
- hold (verb) – conduct, organize.
- (get/bring) back on track (phrase) – to return to the right direction (after a problem).
- ideal (adjective) – perfect, best possible, consummate.
- who will blink first (phrase) – it refers to who is going to give up/lose in a hi-tension contest between fierce rivals – can be applied to business or war or sports.
- enrichment (noun) – the method of making more powerful or explosive Uranium by increasing the composition of uranium-235 isotope through the process of isotope separation. (The process of concentrating the U-235).
- centrifuge (noun) – a high-precision computer-controlled machining equipment used to enrich uranium (separate uranium-235 isotopes).
- sanctions (noun) – action taken, or an order given to force a country to obey international laws by limiting or stopping trade with that country, by not allowing economic aid for that country, etc (Courtesy: VOA Learning English).
- impose (verb) – force, thrust, inflict (an unwelcome decision).
- enforce (verb) – force, compel, demand, insist on.
- road map (noun) – schedule of a (complex) program.
- address (verb) – tackle, deal with, attend to, try to sort out.
- Houthis (rebels) (noun) – a decades-old resistance movement, born in opposition to Saudi Arabia’s religious influence. Yemen’s Houthi rebels are leading the fight against a Saudi-led coalition.
- Iran-backed (adjective) – supported by Iran.
- militant (noun) – fanatic, extremist, radical, sectarian/partisan.
- reportedly (adverb) – supposedly, seemingly, apparently, allegedly.
- freeze (verb) – hold/kept in a fixed state.
- wary (adjective) – cautious, careful, circumspect.
- compliant with (adjective) – in accordance with, in agreement with, in conformity with, in line with.
- slap (verb) – impose, add, put on.
- seek (verb) – ask for, request, appeal, demand.
- concrete (adjective) – definite, specific, definitive; factual, actual/real.
- measure (noun) – action, step, procedure.
- lack of (noun) – absence, deficiency, scarcity, dearth.
- possibility (noun) – chance, probability, option.
- Shia (adjective) – relating to Shia branch/sect of Islam.
- militia (noun) – armed forces, military unit, soldiery (from the civil population to support main forces).
- base (noun) – (military) camp, station, settlement, post.
- shadow conflict (noun) – it is a form of armed conflict, conducted secretly in the nexus (connection) between war and peace where different actors utilize different means to obtain their goals. (actor means a participant in an action).
- Red Sea (proper noun) – The Red Sea is a seawater inlet (arm/bay) of the Indian Ocean, lying between Africa and Asia (Arabian peninsula). The Gulf of Aden is connecting it to the Indian Ocean in the south and the Suez Canal is linking it to the Mediterranean Sea in the north.
- tension (noun) – strained relations, strain, unease.
- proxy (noun) – deputy, representative, substitute.
- derail (verb) – obstruct, interrupt, impede/thwart.
- diplomatic (adjective) – (delicate & sensitive) consular, foreign-policy.
- exercise (verb) – use, employ, make use of, utilize.
- restraint (noun) – self-control, self-restraint, constraint, control, restriction, limitation.
- in return for (phrase) – in exchange for.
- dismantle (verb) – remove, demolish, take down, destroy (something).
- regime (noun) – system, arrangement, apparatus, mechanism.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
The Hindu Editorial (Save the deal) – Apr 13, 2021: