The Hindu Editorial (Regional bonding) – Feb 29, 2020
At a time when India has more or less shut down all conversations on the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC)… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Regional bonding) – Feb 29, 2020.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Regional bonding) – Feb 29, 2020:
- bonding (noun) – relationship, association, cohesiveness.
- prescription (noun) – (authoritative) recommendation, direction.
- realisation (noun) – achievement, accomplishment, attainment.
- more or less (phrase) – approximately, roughly/nearly, almost.
- shut down (phrasal verb) – close, discontinue, cease operation, stop.
- walk away (phrasal verb) – leave, abandon, withdraw.
- set out (phrasal verb) – present, put forward, propose.
- bring something to a standstill (phrase) – bring to an end, finish, conclude.
- bilateral (adjective) – involving two groups or countries.
- set aside (phrasal verb) – ignore, forget, disregard, shrug off, bury.
- in the interests of (phrase) – for the benefit of, for the sake of, considering.
- decry (verb) – denounce, condemn, criticize.
- engender (verb) – cause, give rise to, bring about.
- intra- (prefix) – within.
- languish (verb) – suffer, be abandoned, be neglected, be forgotten.
- equip (verb) – prepare (for a particular task/situation).
- cut out (phrasal verb) – exclude, leave out/omit, eliminate.
- envision (verb) – imagine, visualize, envisage.
- trajectory (noun) – course, route, path.
- unlikely (adjective) – questionable, unconvincing; doubtful, unexpected.
- make clear (phrase) – explain, clarify, elucidate.
- off the table (phrase) – to be withdrawn and no longer available for consideration.
- anytime soon (phrase) – in the very near future.
- protectionist (adjective) – relating to the use of tariff and non-tariff restrictions on imports to protect domestic producers from foreign competition.
- multilateral (adjective) – involving many different countries (in which all WTO member countries are party to the agreement).
- rely on (phrasal verb) – depend on; resort to, have recourse to.
- overarching (adjective) – all-inclusive, complete, all-embracing, comprehensive.
- flood (verb) – arrive in large quantities.
- flourish (verb) – raise; increase, multiply.
- make the most (of) (phrase) – use something to the best advantage.
- trade deficit (noun) – a trade deficit (a deficit in the balance of trade) occurs when the value of a country’s imports exceeds that of its exports. It is also called a trade gap.
- constrain (verb) – restrict, check/limit, contain.
- refute (verb) – deny, reject, disprove.
- accommodative (adjective) – accommodating, cooperative, helpful.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Regional bonding) – Feb 29, 2020: