The Hindu Editorial (Play time) – Apr 09, 2021
Since its launch in 2008, the Indian Premier League has largely remained a summer-fix, with its share of pulsating thrills and big money. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Play time) – Apr 09, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (Play time) – Apr 09, 2021:
- set the stage for (phrase) – prepare the circumstances for the beginning of something.
- the spotlight (noun) – the public attention, the focus of public/media; the public eye.
- fix (noun) – an experience/dose of something (which gives great pleasure).
- pulsating (adjective) – very exciting, thrilling, electrifying.
- extraordinary (adjective) – unusual, uncommon, rare.
- stifling (adjective) – constrained, restrained, hampering, impeding.
- grip (noun) – control, power, hold.
- rage (verb) – (of a disease) spread very quickly or uncontrollably; be at its height, be uncontrollable; reach a high degree of intensity.
- take on (phrasal verb) – compete against, oppose, challenge, face, match oneself against.
- due to (phrase) – because of, owing to, on account of, as a result of.
- pandemic (noun) – the worldwide spread of a new disease; The illness spreads around the world and typically affects a large number of people across a wide area.
- roll in (phrasal verb) – arrive, turn up, appear.
- stretch (verb) – extend, spread, continue.
- all the way (phrase) – completely, totally, entirely.
- meanwhile (adverb) – at the same time, simultaneously, meantime.
- influence (verb) – affect, have an effect on.
- logistics (noun) – the process of planning & executing a complex operation; organization, planning, management, arrangement.
- bio-secure bubble (noun) – it is defined as an environment/location sealed off from the outside world. In tennis/cricket, this would mean players, umpires and support staff being housed at the venue itself.
- norm (noun) – standard, convention, regulation.
- necessitate (verb) – make necessary, require, call for.
- need (noun) – requirement/necessity, demand.
- squad (noun) – team.
- fortnight (noun) – a period of two weeks/fourteen days continuously.
- miss out (phrasal verb) – fail to utilize/take advantage of something.
- a level playing field (phrase) – a situation in which everyone has a fair and equal opportunity to succeed, and no one has an advantage over the other.
- prop up (phrasal verb) – support, assist, help someone/something (from the decline).
- rival (noun) – competitor, opponent, contestant, contender.
- thread (noun) – a long line of something.
- play-off (noun) – an extra game/match to decide a winner to play for the final championship (in competitive sports).
- outfit (noun) – team, squad.
- context (noun) – circumstances, conditions, situation.
- coronavirus (CoV) (noun) – a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases. common signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties. In more severe cases, infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death. (Courtesy: WHO)
- finesse (verb) – deal with, manage, handle something with skill/care.
- build-up (noun) – preparation for a particular event.
- quarantine (noun) – a process of separating out people, animals and things (such as plants) from others for a period of time in order to control/restrict the spread of a contagious disease; Quarantine is imposed to separate and restrict the movement of persons, who may have been exposed to infectious disease, but not yet known to be ill.
- ideal (adjective) – perfect, best possible, consummate, flawless.
- keen (adjective) – determined, desirous, ambitious.
- get on (phrasal verb) – continue, proceed, go ahead, carry on, go on (after interruption).
- turf (noun) – track, pitch; (cricket) playground.
- acoustic (adjective) – relating to sound.
- besides (preposition/linking adverb) – in addition to, as well, apart from.
- stardust (noun) – a magical quality.
- unsung (adjective) – unacclaimed, unacknowledged, uncelebrated, unpraised.
- grab (verb) – obtain, get, gain (something) quickly.
- wing (verb) – move quickly; fly, race, speed.
- nostalgically (adverb) – sentimentally, evocatively.
- the inclined (noun) – someone who is influenced by someone else.
- the likes of (phrase) – someone/something considered as a type.
- ply (verb) – engage in, carry on, pursue, occupy oneself with, busy oneself with (one’s business).
- ply your wares (phrase) – sell your goods.
- negate (verb) – invalidate, nullify, deny, make ineffective, neutralize, cancel out.
- strange (adjective) – unusual, weird, abnormal, atypical.
- mix (noun) – combination/mingling (of different things).
- the new-normal (phrase) – an earlier unusual situation that becomes a standard now.
- deviation (noun) – departure, difference, abnormality, discrepancy.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
The Hindu Editorial (Play time) – Apr 09, 2021: