The Hindu Editorial (Lynching, not murder) – Sep 12, 2019
The decision of the Jharkhand police that the killing of Tabrez Ansari, 24, in June did not amount to murder is quite debatable. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Lynching, not murder) – Sep 12, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Lynching, not murder) – Sep 12, 2019:
- lynching (noun) – an act of punishing/killing someone by hanging for claimed offence by the group of people without legal trail.
- suspicion (noun) – misgiving, doubt/qualm, scepticism.
- dilute (verb) – weaken, modify, moderate.
- underscore (verb) – underline, emphasize, highlight.
- amount to (verb) – be regarded as, be equivalent/equal to, be tantamount to.
- quite (adverb) – in every respect, in all respects, without exception.
- debatable (adjective) – questionable, arguable, disputable.
- culpable (adjective) – offending, guilty, misbehaving, blameworthy.
- homicide (noun) – murder, killing.
- layman (noun) – non-professional, non-specialist, amateur/enthusiast.
- strange (adjective) – unusual, odd, peculiar.
- prosecute (verb) – charge with, accuse of, indict.
- sectarian (adjective) – denoting a sect (a group of people); factional, partisan.
- mob (noun) – a large, disorganized, and often violent crowd of people.
- imprisonment (noun) – incarceration, confinement, captivity.
- two-pronged (adjective) – having two different aspects.
- succumb (verb) – die from, die of, pass away as a result of.
- forensic (noun) – the application of scientific knowledge & methods to legal problems and legal proceeding.
- attribute (verb) – ascribe, assign, accredit.
- trauma (noun) – torment, distress, suffering.
- invoke (verb) – cite, refer to, adduce.
- premeditation (noun) – pre-planning, deliberation, intent.
- deprive (verb) – dispossess, strip, divest, relieve.
- provocation (noun) – prompting, inducement, incitement.
- narrative (noun) – a representation of a particular situation; portrayal/account.
- reiteration (noun) – the process of repeating something (some action) for clarity/emphasis.
- resolutely (adverb) – firmly, determinedly, purposefully.
- spontaneous (adjective) – unconstrained, voluntary, unprompted.
- ambiguity (noun) – inexactness, doubtfulness, obscurity/opacity.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 The Hindu Editorial (Lynching, not murder) – Sep 12, 2019: