The Hindu Editorial (Brexit brinkmanship) – Sep 12, 2019
The recently enacted law to stop Britain from leaving the European Union (EU) without an agreement has brought little certainty that a cliff-edge exit will be avoided. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Brexit brinkmanship)- Sep 12, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Brexit brinkmanship) – Sep 12, 2019:
- Brexit (noun) – a term used for the (supposed) departure of the United Kingdom from the European Union.
- brinkmanship (noun) – the practice of trying to achieve an advantageous results by engaging in a dangerous issue or event to the edge of safety, especially in politics, by pushing dangerous events.
- defiant (adjective) – aggressive, belligerent/bellicose; uncooperative, non-compliant.
- breakthrough (noun) – success; progress/development, advancement.
- remote (adjective) – unlikely, improbable, implausible, doubtful.
- cliff-edge (phrase) – relating to a difficult situation.
- bid (noun) – attempt, effort, endeavour/try.
- seek (verb) – ask for, request, appeal for; try, attempt, aim.
- hold in contempt (phrase) – to regard someone with disdain or disrespect.
- contempt (noun) – disrespect, disregard, neglect.
- hardline (adjective) – relating to a group/a political party with people who support a strict ideas and they are extreme & uncompromising.
- eurosceptic (noun) – a person who is opposing to increase the powers of the European Union.
- off the table (phrase) – to be withdrawn and no longer available for consideration.
- strike a deal/bargain (phrase) – to come to an agreement.
- Tory (noun) – a member/supporter of a Conservative Party in the UK; right-winger, reactionary, rightist.
- stress (verb) – emphasize, draw attention to, highlight.
- referendum (noun) – public vote; a direct vote in which people cast ballots to decide on a specific issue or policy.
- bloc (noun) – alliance, association, union.
- manoeuvre (noun) – operation, action, activity.
- thwart (verb) – stop, prevent, check/obstruct/impede.
- Brussels (noun) – The headquarters of the European Union. Brussels is a metonym of the European Union.
- counterpart (noun) – a person/thing that serves the same job/function but in a different location; equivalent.
- solely (adverb) – only, simply, merely.
- align with (verb) – combine with, link up with, join.
- regulatory (adjective) – organizational, governmental.
- moot (verb) – propose, suggest, introduce.
- detrimental (adjective) – damaging, inimical, dangerous.
- sovereignty (noun) – supremacy, dominion, power.
- integrity (noun) – unity, solidarity, coherence/togetherness.
- entail (verb) – cause, result in, produce.
- erect (verb) – create, establish, form/set up.
- Irish backstop (noun) – a position of last resort, to maintain an open border on the island of Ireland in the event that the UK leaves the EU without securing an all-encompassing deal. (Courtesy:BBC).
- vote down (verb) – reject, stop, block.
- relevance (noun) – significance, importance, appropriateness.
- back (verb) – support, endorse, uphold.
- speculation (noun) – assumption, supposition/feeling, guesswork/postulation.
- revive (verb) – recover, bring back, revitalize.
- notwithstanding (adverb) – nonetheless, even so, all the same, after everything.
- accord (noun) – agreement, settlement, deal.
- elusive (adjective) – difficult to find; subtle, indistinct/intangible.
- spare (verb) – pardon, excuse/forgive, leave unpunished.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Brexit brinkmanship) – Sep 12, 2019: