The Hindu Editorial (Irresponsible remarks) – Sep 14, 2019
Remarks made by a Minister in Uttar Pradesh that the construction of a temple in the disputed site at Ayodhya is a certainty… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Irresponsible remarks)- Sep 14, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Irresponsible remarks) – Sep 14, 2019:
- wary (adjective) – cautious/alert, careful, circumspect.
- undermine (verb) – weaken, spoil, damage.
- zeal (noun) – passion, fervour, eagerness, interest.
- disconcerting (adjective) – discomfiting, unsettling, disturbing.
- cockiness (noun) – boldness, a state of over-confident & arrogant.
- defer (verb) – delay, hold off, postpone.
- resolve (noun) – determination, resolution, decision, firmness of purpose.
- decree (noun) – order, command, regulation.
- draw attention to (phrase) – emphasise, highlight, underscore;focus on.
- utterance (noun) – statement, expression, pronouncement/remark.
- quite (adverb) – in every respect, in all respects, without exception.
- annoying (adjective) – irritating, infuriating, troublesome.
- unforgivably (adverb) – unpardonably, unjustifiably, indefensibly.
- embarrassing (adjective) – upsetting, disconcerting, discomfiting; delicate/sensitive.
- brazen (adjective) – bold and shameless; unashamed, unabashed.
- sought past and past participle of seek (verb) – try, attempt, aim.
- reflect (verb) – reveal, disclose, exhibit.
- take cognisance of (phrase) – attend to, take into account, be prepared for.
- fanatical (adjective) – enthusiastic, eager, keen, fervent.
- frenzied (adjective) – uncontrolled, intense, furious/mad.
- mob (noun) – a large, disorganized, and often violent crowd of people
- pull down (phrasal verb) – raze, demolish, destroy bulldoze ( a building).
- forthcoming (adjective) – made available, accessible, obtainable.
- backdrop (noun) – situation, scenario, context.
- octogenarian (noun) – a person who is between 80 and 89 years old.
- hurl (verb) – utter/express (abuse) vehemently.
- allegedly (adverb) – supposedly, purportedly, reportedly.
- ridicule (adjective) – mockery, contempt, scorn.
- intimidating (adjective) – frightening, overawing, or threatening.
- in order to (phrase) – as a ways/methods to.
- underscore (verb) – underline, emphasize, highlight.
- adjudicate (verb) – judge, give a verdict on; decide, settle/resolve.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Irresponsible remarks) – Sep 14, 2019: