The Hindu Editorial (Bane of banners) – Sep 14, 2019
The pervasive lack of governance in India’s cities has claimed the life of another citizen, this time in Chennai. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Bane of banners) – Sep 14, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Bane of banners) – Sep 14, 2019:
- bane (noun) – scourge, torment, distress/hardship; death, plague.
- menace (noun) – threat/danger, risk/peril, intimidation.
- pervasive (adjective) – prevalent, extensive, ubiquitous, omnipresent.
- functionary (noun) – official, administrator, bureaucrat.
- off-balance (adjective) – uneven, unevenly balanced, out of line.
- exaggerated (adjective) – enlarged, overblown, magnified/overstated/inflated.
- hapless (adjective) – unfortunate, unlucky, ill-fated.
- civic (adjective) – municipal.
- neglect (noun) – negligence, dereliction of duty, carelessness/unconcern.
- indifference (noun) – unconcern about, apathy about, disregard.
- exaggerated (adjective) – excessive, overemphasized, amplified/overdone.
- at the cost of (phrase) – at the expense of, sacrifice, at the loss of.
- electrocute (verb) – kill (someone) by electric shock.
- ramshackle (adjective) – in bad condition; (of a house) badly & poorly made and certain to fall to pieces.
- hue (noun) – character, aspect, appearance.
- motley (adjective) – diverse, sundry, disparate.
- restraint (noun) – constraint, check/control, restriction.
- endanger (verb) – imperil, jeopardize, risk.
- evidently (adverb) – seemingly, apparently, on the face of it.
- persuade (verb) – convince, influence, make certain.
- implead (verb) – take to court, charge, indict, bring legal proceedings against.
- accountability (noun) – responsibility, liability, answerability.
- the executive (noun) – the executive is a branch of government which enforces the law as written by the legislature and interpreted by the judiciary.
- reluctance (noun) – unwillingness, disinclination, hesitation.
- abut (verb) – neighbouring, adjacent, adjoining.
- pedestrian (noun) – walker, person on foot, wayfarer.
- compliance with (noun) – adherence to, conformity to, accordance with.
- recalcitrant (adjective) – wilful, uncooperative, obstinately disobedient.
- lumpen (adjective) – the unthinking, stupid, foolish/idiotic lower orders of society who are unorganized & unpolitical.
- fealty (noun) – allegiance/adherence, faithfulness, obedience/loyalty.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 The Hindu Editorial (Bane of banners) – Sep 14, 2019: