The Hindu Editorial (India abroad) – Feb 01, 2020
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (India abroad) – Feb 01, 2020:
- abroad (adverb) – beyond the seas, overseas, out of the country.
- diplomat (noun) – envoy, consul, ambassador.
- firefight (verb) – to deal problems as they come (instead of avoiding them strategically).
- keep out (phrasal verb) – exclude, deny access to, prohibit/bar/ban.
- repercussion (noun) – result, consequence, outcome.
- put out (phrasal verb) – publish, release, publicize/circulate.
- statelessness (noun) – it is the lack of citizenship. A stateless person is someone who is “not considered as a national by any state under the operation of its law”.
- crackdown (noun) – getting tough, severe/stern measures, restriction, suppression/repression, clampdown.
- outreach (noun) – the level of reaching out/activity/effort; involvement.
- put off (phrasal verb) – postpone, defer, delay.
- Brussels (noun) – The headquarters of the European Union. Brussels is a metonym of the European Union.
- strenuous (adjective) – vigorous, forceful/intense, active.
- wane (verb) – decrease, decline, diminish/dwindle.
- hold (verb) – believe, think, consider, feel.
- sovereign (adjective) – independent, self-governing, autonomous.
- delude (verb) – mislead, double-cross, trick, cheat.
- pass muster (phrase) – be accepted as adequate/satisfactory.
- dilute (verb) – weaken, reduce, modify/quell.
- facilitate (verb) – make easier, make possible; assist, help, aid.
- slip up (phrasal verb) – make a careless mistake/error.
- fora plural form of forum (noun) – assembly, gathering, conference.
- stretch (noun) – a difficult/demanding task.
- weight (noun) – importance, significance, value/power.
- bear (verb) – manage, tolerate, accept/allow/admit.
- unlikely (adjective) – not likely, doubtful, implausible, questionable.
- reflect on (phrasal verb) – think about, contemplate, consider/mull over.
- cumulative (adjective) – collective, aggregate, total.
- toll (noun) – suffering, loss, damage.
- heft (noun) – influence, weight-age, power/strength.
- dilution (noun) – reduction in value/power/force of something.
- overwhelm (verb) – overload, beset, overburden; disturb, affect, make emotional.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (India abroad) – Feb 01, 2020: