The Hindu Editorial (Flashing lights) – May 20, 2021
The RBI’s latest monthly bulletin has just confirmed what many economists and anecdotal evidence have been pointing to — a sharp backslide in economic momentum. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Flashing lights) – May 20, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (Flashing lights) – May 20, 2021:
- sliding (adjective) – sinking, falling, declining gradually (to a worse condition or lower level).
- inflation (noun) – simply meaning “cost of living”; increase of price level of goods & services and vice versa decrease of currency value.
- consumptive capacity (noun) – the power to use goods and services in the satisfaction of human wants.
- bulletin (noun) – report, release, statement, announcement.
- anecdotal (adjective) – not based on factual, scientific reports and observations done carefully; unscientific, informal, unreliable, untrustworthy.
- point to (verb) – indicate, suggest, denote.
- backslide (noun) – degeneration, deterioration, decline, slippage, slide.
- flag (verb) – indicate, identify, point out.
- demand shock (noun) – a sudden and temporary increase or decrease in the demand for a good/product or service.
- inflict (verb) – cause, impose, exact, wreak.
- ferocious (adjective) – intense, extreme, strong, powerful; fierce, ruthless, merciless, brutal.
- pandemic (noun) – the worldwide spread of a new disease; The illness spreads around the world and typically affects a large number of people across a wide area.
- cite (verb) – refer to, mention, make reference to.
- mobility (noun) – transportability, portability.
- discretionary (adjective) – optional, voluntary, up to the individual, non-mandatory, non-compulsory.
- doldrums (plural noun) – dull/sluggish period; depression, inactive, stagnation.
- high-frequency indicators (HFIs) (noun) – high-frequency indicators (HFIs) of India’s Economic Recovery enable a meaningful and real-time analysis of patterns of economic recovery. The HFIs provide a range of data on multiple aspects of the economy, including fertilizer sales, trade in agricultural commodities, registration of new businesses, registration of different types of vehicles, digital transactions and payments and demand for wage labour under MGNREGA.
- reversal (noun) – turnaround, turnabout, about-face, U-turn, sea change; setback, reverse, failure, hardship.
- indicator (noun) – measure, signal, sign.
- contract (verb) – decline, decrease, diminish, reduce.
- month-on-month (adjective) – used to compare data for one month with that in previous months.
- shrink (verb) – lessen, reduce, decrease.
- preceding (adjective) – previous, prior, earlier.
- relatively (adverb) – comparatively, proportionately, somewhat, to a certain extent/degree.
- unscathed (adjective) – unhurt, undamaged, unharmed.
- dry up (phrasal verb) – dwindle, wane, disappear, vanish.
- countryside (noun) – a rural district, a rural area.
- reflect (verb) – indicate, show, reveal, exhibit.
- contraction (noun) – In economics, it refers to a decline in national output as measured by gross domestic product.
- palpable (adjective) – noticeable, appreciable, discernible.
- hit (verb) – reach, touch (a level).
- Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy Pvt Ltd (CMIE) (noun) – CMIE, or Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy, is a leading business information company. It was established in 1976, primarily as an independent think tank. (Think tank is a panel of experts who provide advice and ideas on political, social or economic issues).
- moving average (noun) – it is a technical analysis indicator that averages something (e.g. unemployment rate or a price of an instrument) over a period of time and plots that average as a line.
- grip (noun) – control, power, hold, stranglehold, domination.
- likely (adverb) – probably, in all probability, presumably, doubtlessly.
- push up (phrasal verb) – increase, raise.
- precarity (noun) – the state of being uncertain/insecure/unsafe.
- household (noun) – family, house.
- hinterland (noun) – remote areas of a country away from the coastal areas/the banks of major rivers.
- look ahead (phrasal verb) – to think about what will happen in the future.
- fiscal year (noun) – financial year.
- crippling (adjective) – weakening, damaging, impairing, destroying, spoiling, paralyzing.
- pose (verb) – create, cause, present (a problem or danger or risk).
- pace (noun) – speed.
- vaccination (noun) – treatment with a vaccine to protect against a particular disease; immunization.
- more so (phrase) – to a greater degree; to a greater extent.
- semi-rural (adjective) – moderately rural (i.e. suburb area surrounded by farmland, villages & stand-alone or independent houses).
- sowing (noun) – an act of seeding a plant or crop.
- kharif crops (noun) – monsoon crops; seeds sowing in the beginning (Jun) of the monsoon and harvesting at the end of the season (Oct) in South Asia.
- rabi crops (noun) – winter crops; seeds sowing in the beginning (Nov) of the winter and harvesting at the end of the season (Apr) in South Asia.
- portray (verb) – represent, depict, characterize, describe.
- grim (adjective) – distressing, upsetting, worrying, unpleasant, dismal, awful.
- picture (noun) – situation, condition, circumstances.
- barest superlative adjective of bare (adjective) – mere, very, basic, simple, no better than.
- revive (verb) – energize, resuscitate, strengthen, regenerate, renew.
- any time soon (phrase) – in the very near future (but an exact time or date isn’t known).
- add to (phrasal verb) – increase, amplify, escalate, intensify.
- cut across (phrasal verb) – traverse, transcend, go beyond, pass over, go across.
- accelerating (adjective) – increasing, rising, escalating.
- wary (adjective) – cautious, careful, circumspect.
- stagflation (noun) – a period of rising inflation, slowing economic growth & rising unemployment. (inflation is the sustained/continuous rise in the overall price level of goods and services in the economy).
- shrinking (adjective) – contracting, lessening, reducing, decreasing.
- fiscal space (noun) – it is commonly defined as the budgetary room that allows a government to provide resources for public purposes without undermining fiscal sustainability.
- notwithstanding (conjunction) – although, in spite of the fact that, despite the fact that, even though.
- expedited (adjective) – accelerated, quickened, hastened, precipitated.
- vaccine (noun) – a biological preparation that improves immunity to a particular disease.
- roll-out (noun) – official launch/introduction.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in a different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
The Hindu Editorial (Flashing lights) – May 20, 2021: