The Hindu Editorial (Dealing with denial) – Jul 22, 2021
A touchy topic for the Centre and States has been the counting of the dead from COVID-19. In 2020, as the pandemic ravaged Europe and the U.S., Health Ministry officials would incessantly argue that India had better managed… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Dealing with denial) – Jul 22, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (Dealing with denial) – Jul 22, 2021:
- play down (phrasal verb) – underemphasize, downplay, understate.
- tragedy (noun) – disaster, catastrophe, devastation, misfortune, affliction, blight.
- touchy (adjective) – delicate, sensitive, tricky.
- pandemic (noun) – the worldwide spread of a new disease; The illness spreads around the world and typically affects a large number of people across a wide area.
- ravage (verb) – devastate, ruin, destroy, wreak havoc on, damage.
- incessantly (adverb) – constantly, continually, all the time.
- comparatively (adverb) – relatively.
- apparent (adjective) – evident/clear, visible, noticeable, recognizable.
- specious (adjective) – misleading, deceptive, false.
- demographic (adjective) – relating to the statistical study/structure of populations, especially human beings.
- difference (noun) – dissimilarity, contrast, deviation, unevenness, variation.
- per capita (adverb & adjective) – per person, for each, individually.
- ferocious (adjective) – intense, extreme, strong, powerful; fierce, ruthless, merciless, brutal.
- characterise (verb) – identify, depict, describe.
- scenario (noun) – course of events; situation, context.
- overrun (verb) – invade, overwhelm, swamp, spread over (a place in large numbers).
- gasp for (verb) – breathe hard, breathe heavily, struggle for air.
- necessity (noun) – (essential) requirement, prerequisite, indispensable thing.
- reveal (verb) – exhibit, disclose, uncover, show.
- spike (noun) – a sharp rise/increase of something.
- Civil Registration System (CRS) (noun) – Civil Registration System (CRS) in India is the unified process of continuous, permanent and compulsory recording of the vital events (births, deaths, stillbirths
). (A stillbirth is the death or loss of a baby before or during delivery).
- explicable (adjective) – explainable, interpretable, definable.
- mortal (adjective) – destructive, deadly, fatal, lethal.
- lack of (noun) – absence, deficiency, scarcity.
- move (verb) – propose, submit, put forward.
- privilege motion (noun) – Parliamentary privileges are certain rights and immunities (exemptions) enjoyed by members of Parliament, individually and collectively, so that they can “effectively discharge their functions”. When any of these rights and immunities are disregarded, the offence is called a breach of privilege and is punishable under law of Parliament. A notice is moved in the form of a motion by any member of either House against those being held guilty of breach of privilege.
- motion (noun) – It means any proposal (by a member) submitted to the House for eliciting (obtaining) its decision.
- indeed (adverb) – in fact, actually, undeniably.
- absolute (adjective) – complete, total, utter; categorical, unquestionable, undoubted.
- empathy (noun) – compassion, sympathy, feeling, concern, consideration.
- acknowledgement (noun) – acceptance, admission, recognition, realization.
- lived experience (noun) – It refers to a representation of the experiences and choices of a given person, and the knowledge that they gain from these experiences and choices.
- want (noun) – lack, absence, unavailability.
- appalling (adjective) – shocking, horrible, horrific, terrible, awful.
- demise (noun) – death, dying, passing away.
- causative (adjective) – causing something; responsible, contributive, contributing, deciding.
- inability (noun) – incapability, incapacity, helplessness.
- Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) (noun) – the apex body in India for the formulation, coordination and promotion of biomedical research, is one of the oldest medical research bodies in the world. As early as in 1911, the Government of India set up the Indian Research Fund Association (IRFA) with the specific objective of sponsoring and coordinating medical research in the country. It was redesignated in 1949 as the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR). The ICMR is funded by the Government of India through the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
- bewilder (verb) – mystify, perplex, puzzle, confuse.
- mortality (noun) – (in a particular time/for a cause) the rate/number of death.
- under-count (adjective) – an incorrect & low count.
- casualty (noun) – victim, fatality, mortality; death, loss.
- counter-productively (adverb) – unfavourably, unfortunately, undesirably, adversely.
- seek (verb) – try, aim, attempt.
- impression (noun) – feeling, notion, idea, thought, opinion.
- conquer (verb) – overcome, take control of, get the better of, cope with.
- chasten (verb) – subdue, flatten, bring down, humiliate, restrain.
- abundant (adjective) – plentiful, copious, ample.
- vulnerable (adjective) – ill-protected, easily affected by, prone to, at risk of.
- serology (noun) – a method of diagnostic examination of blood serum concerning the immune system’s response to pathogens (the pathogen is something, like bacteria/virus, that causes disease). (serum is an amber (yellowish-orange), watery fluid
, rich in proteins, obtained from blood…).
- serology survey (noun) – A serological survey is conducted to assess the prevalence of a disease in a population. It is done by detecting the presence of specific antibodies that are produced against the virus.
- seroprevalence (noun) – the number of persons in a population who test positive for a specific disease based on serology (blood serum) specimens.
- erode (verb) – (gradually) undermine, weaken, spoil, deteriorate, destroy.
- credibility (noun) – trustworthiness, reliability, dependability.