The Hindu Editorial (Dangerous vacuum) – Sep 19, 2019
The detention of National Conference leader Farooq Abdullah under the Public Safety Act on Monday marks a new,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Dangerous vacuum) – Sep 19, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Dangerous vacuum) – Sep 19, 2019:
- vacuum (noun) – empty space, emptiness, void, nothingness.
- detention (noun) – confinement/incarceration, captivity, custody.
- discredit (verb) – dishonour, disrepute, ill repute, disgrace.
- secessionist (noun) – separatist, breakaway party, dissenting group.
- overreach (noun) – an act of trying to do too much.
- curtail (verb) – reduce, diminish, decrease.
- abrogate (verb) – cancel, abolish, revoke, repeal.
- relative (adjective) – considerable, some, proportionate.
- autonomy (noun) – independence, freedom, self-government/rule.
- shutdown (noun) – closure of a system.
- secular (adjective) – non-religious, worldly, earthly.
- pluralist (adjective) – coexisting; relating to (the people) exist in harmony irrespective of various differences.
- travesty (noun) – misrepresentation, distortion/perversion, poor imitation.
- assault (verb) – invasion, offensive, attack.
- detain (verb) – hold, take into custody, arrest.
- smack of (phrasal verb) – have the flavour of, give the impression of (something negative).
- disregard (noun) – indifference, inattention, heedlessness, carelessness.
- on one’s own volition (phrase) – voluntarily, by choice, by one’s own preference.
- stringent (adjective) – strict/stern, severe, tough/rigorous.
- silence (verb) – suppress, quieten, stop.
- humiliate (verb) – embarrass, degrade, shame.
- betray (verb) – inform against, reveal, disclose.
- marginalise (verb) – treat as insignificant, treat as unimportant, neglected.
- odds (noun) – (difficult/tough) probability, chances, conditions.
- aloof (adjective) – distant, detached, unresponsive/indifferent.
- hostile (adjective) – opposed; aggressive, confrontational/belligerent.
- nepotism (noun) – favouritism, preferential treatment, patronage/partiality.
- disingenuous (adjective) – dishonest, deceitful, double-dealing.
- endemic (adjective) – widespread, prevailing, common/ubiquitous.
- amorality (noun) – immorality, disregard for morality, wickedness.
- dispiriting (adjective) – disheartening, discouraging, demoralizing.
- inimical (adjective) – hostile, unfriendly, opposed/unfavourable.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 The Hindu Editorial (Dangerous vacuum) – Sep 19, 2019: