The Hindu Editorial (Bihar blues) – Nov 04, 2020
More than 54% of voters in 94 seats across 17 districts in Bihar voted in the second of the three-phase Assembly election on Tuesday. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Bihar blues) – Nov 04, 2020.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Bihar blues) – Nov 04, 2020:
- blues (noun) – feelings of depression, feelings of sadness, feelings of unhappiness; misery, sorrow, gloominess.
- emotive (adjective) – sensitive, emotional, controversial, inflammatory.
- in tandem (phrase) – alongside each other.
- articulation (noun) – expression, revelation, assertion, mention.
- livelihood (noun) – means of making a living with the basic necessities (food, water, shelter and clothing); means of support, subsistence, source of income.
- witness (verb) – see, observe, view, notice.
- alliance (noun) – coalition, partnership.
- somersault (noun) – an instance (as in gymnastics) of rotating (jumping/rolling) one’s body 360 degree with someone’s feet going over one’s head; gymnastics; flip, turning over 360 degree in the air; (figuratively) an act of changing suddenly from having a particular opinion or policy about something to having a completely different opinion or policy.
- incumbent (adjective) – current, present, existing (holder/occupant of an office).
- considerably (adverb) – greatly, very much, a lot.
- dissipate (verb) – disappear, vanish, disperse.
- unrelenting (adjective) – resolute, determined, tireless, unflagging; continuous, unceasing, persistent.
- strike a chord (phrase) – cause someone to remember something related to him/her in a certain way; arouse an emotional feeling to something (either positively or negatively).
- on the mat (phrase) – in a position to face a reprimand/criticism/rebuke; become involved in argument/fight about something fiercely.
- outmigration (noun) – permanent migration in order to settle elsewhere.
- resonate (verb) – resound, reverberate; evoke some feelings/emotions.
- swelling (adjective) – growing, increasing, rising.
- on the ground (phrase) – in a situation/place where things are happening really/practically.
- bank on (phrasal verb) – rely on, depend on; anticipate, expect.
- formidable (adjective) – impressive, strong, powerful, mighty.
- coalition (noun) – alliance, union, partnership.
- “double engine” government theory (phrase) – the concept behind “double engine” governments is that the same party (in this case BJP) should be in power in the state and at the Centre.
- pandemic (noun) – the worldwide spread of a new disease; The illness spreads around the world and typically affects a large number of people across a wide area.
- underplay (verb) – downplay, understate, de-emphasize.
- identity-orientation (noun) – it refer to the relative importance that individuals place on various (social/ personal) attributes or characteristics when constructing their self-definitions.
- identity-oriented (adjective) – intended on (social/personal) attributes or characteristics.
- mobilisation (noun) – the act of bringing people/resources together for a particular cause.
- advance (verb) – promote, support, further, forward.
- vocabulary (noun) – the special terms/expressions of a particular field; terminology, language, parlance.
- laudatory (adjective) – full of praise, complimentary/admiring, congratulatory.
- fraught with (adjective) – full of, filled with, loaded with.
- take shape (phrase) – become clear/definite, become tangible, fall into place.
- on the back foot (phrase) – in a defensive position, off balance, at a disadvantage.
- polarise (verb) – separate into two opposing groups.
- foment (verb) – instigate, incite, provoke/stir up.
- cite (verb) – refer to, adduce, make reference to, invoke.
- differentiator (noun) – a distinguishing feature.
- tone (noun) – expression, mode of expression; mood, attitude.
- considerable (adjective) – substantial, appreciable, significant, much.
- cost (noun) – sacrifice, loss (needed to achieve/get something).
- social harmony (noun) – when people live side by side in peace and mutual respect. (harmony (noun) – unity, solidarity, cooperation, agreement/concord).
- norm (noun) – standard, convention, criterion, regulation.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Bihar blues) – Nov 04, 2020: