The Hindu Editorial (A timely warning) – May 01, 2021
The Supreme Court has issued a timely warning to the States against any attempt to clamp down on the dissemination of information about the serious health crisis besetting the country,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (A timely warning) – May 01, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (A timely warning) – May 01, 2021:
- timely (adjective) – prompt, appropriate, opportune, well timed, at the right time.
- intervention (noun) – the process of intervening in something; involvement, interference.
- clampdown (noun) – crackdown, suppression, prevention/restriction, stopping; restraint.
- harass (verb) – persecute, disturb, trouble, bother, torment.
- deter (verb) – put off, discourage, prevent, stop, hinder, impede, hamper, obstruct.
- ill-advised (adjective) – ill-considered, ill-judged, misguided, badly planned.
- clamp down on (phrasal verb) – prevent, stop, put an end to; keep under control.
- dissemination (noun) – spreading, circulation, distribution.
- beset (verb) – trouble, bother, worry, anguish, embarrass (persistently).
- call for (phrasal verb) – require, publicly ask/necessitate, demand.
- comment (noun) – remark, observation, statement, pronouncement, judgement.
- utterly (adverb) – completely, totally, absolutely.
- despotic (adjective) – autocratic, dictatorial, totalitarian/authoritarian, unconstitutional, undemocratic.
- misinformation (noun) – disinformation, false information, alternative fact, fake news, false rumour.
- detain (verb) – arrest, take into custody, imprison, jail, incarcerate.
- National Security Act (NSA) (noun) – Put simply, the NSA empowers the Centre or a State government to detain a person to prevent him from acting in any manner prejudicial to national security. The government can also detain a person to prevent him from disrupting public order or for maintenance of supplies and services essential to the community. The maximum period for which one may be detained is 12 months. But the term can be extended if the government finds fresh evidence.
- seize (verb) – capture, take possession of, take over, subjugate.
- appeal (noun) – urgent request, plea, call, cry from the heart.
- disrepute (noun) – dishonour, disgrace, ill repute, shame.
- first information report (FIR) (noun) – a written document prepared by the police when they receive information about the commission of a cognizable offence.
- allegedly (adverb) – reportedly, supposedly, purportedly, ostensibly, apparently.
- seek (verb) – try, aim, attempt.
- alarm (noun) – danger signal, distress signal, alert.
- convince (verb) – persuade, satisfy, assure.
- imaginary (adjective) – unreal, non-existent, fictional.
- malicious (adjective) – evil-intentioned, ill-natured, vengeful, defamatory, hostile.
- atmosphere (noun) – conditions, circumstances, situations.
- profiteering (noun) – an act of making an excessive/illegal profit.
- black market (noun) – a marketplace, whether physical or virtual, where goods or services are exchanged illegally; underground economy or shadow economy; illegal trade, unlawful trade, illicit trade, lawbreaking trade.
- grave (adjective) – crucial, critical, serious; terrible, awful, dreadful; perilous, dangerous, threatening.
- nothing more than (phrase) – only.
- tarnish (verb) – spoil, ruin, damage, defame.
- image (noun) – public perception/impression, persona, public face, character/reputation.
- given (preposition) – considering, taking into account, bearing in mind.
- propensity (noun) – tendency, inclination, predisposition, readiness.
- voice (noun) – expression; opinion, view.
- grievance (noun) – complaint, criticism, problem, objection/protest.
- affront (noun) – insult, offence, injustice, outrage.
- stifle (verb) – constrain, restrain, prevent, hamper, impede.
- contempt (noun) – it refers to the offence of showing disrespect to the dignity or authority of a court (& its officers).
- contempt of court (noun) – the offense of being disobedient to or disrespectful toward a court of law and its officers in the form of behavior that opposes or defies the authority, justice and dignity of the court.
- bench (noun) – a court of law with a number of judges.
- precept (noun) – principle, rule, tenet/doctrine.
- contrary (adjective) – opposite, conflicting.
- underscore (verb) – underline, emphasize, highlight.
- necessity (noun) – (essential) requirement, prerequisite, indispensable thing.
- recall (verb) – remember, recollect, call to mind, think of.
- play a part/role (phrase) – contribute to, be instrumental in, be a factor in.
- famine (noun) – deficiency, shortfall, lack, insufficiency, scarcity (of food).
- apparently (adverb) – seemingly, evidently, it appears that; supposedly.
- draw (verb) – reach a conclusion by inference from the circumstances; deduce, infer, conclude, derive, gather.
- articulate (verb) – announce, express, pronounce, point out.
- attribute (noun) – quality, feature, characteristic, trait, element, aspect.
- regime (noun) – government.
- accountable (adjective) – responsible, liable, answerable.
- at large (phrase) – as a whole, as a body, generally.
- reluctance (noun) – unwillingness, disinclination, hesitation.
- acknowledge (verb) – admit, accept, realize.
- calamitous (adjective) – destructive, ruinous, disastrous, catastrophic.
- fire (verb) – direct, send, toss (questions continuously one after another).
- lines (noun) – course of action, course, procedure.
- perception (noun) – understanding, thought, impression, feeling.
- of no avail (phrase) – of no use; of no advantage.
- alarmingly (adverb) – disturbingly, worryingly.
- draw to a close (phrase) – to come to an end.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in a different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
The Hindu Editorial (A timely warning) – May 01, 2021: