The Hindu Editorial (A controversial transfer) – Sep 10, 2019
The unusual transfer of the Chief Justice of the Madras High Court, Justice Vijaya Kamlesh Tahilramani, to Meghalaya High Court has caused understandable disquiet among lawyers. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (A controversial transfer) – Sep 10, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (A controversial transfer) – Sep 10, 2019:
- collegium (noun) – The collegium system is the one in which the Chief Justice of India and a forum of four senior most judges of the Supreme Court recommend appointments & transfers of judges. There is no mention of the collegium in the Constitution of India.
- flaw (noun) – defect, fault, imperfection/weakness.
- disquiet (noun) – distress, unease, worry/concern.
- complement (noun) – number, total, aggregate.
- it is no surprise (phrase) – as expected, as anticipated, as predicted.
- border on (phrasal verb) – be comparable to, be tantamount to, look like.
- humiliation (noun) – embarrassment, disgrace, dishonour/discredit.
- demotion (noun) – reduction, overthrow, overturning (status/rank).
- fallacious (adjective) – erroneous, false/wrong, incorrect.
- punitive (adjective) – disciplinary, corrective, retributive.
- assess (verb) – evaluate, analyse, determine.
- criterion (noun) – basis, standard, norm. (criteria is the plural form of criterion).
- solely (adverb) – only, simply, merely.
- perception (noun) – insight, understanding, discernment/thoughtfulness.
- quite (adverb) – in every respect, in all respects, without exception.
- misconceive (verb) – misunderstand, misinterpret, misread.
- elapse (verb) – pass, go by, roll past.
- Memorandum of Procedure (MoP) – a guideline for selection of high court judges.
- determinative (adjective) – controlling/guiding, influential, decisive.
- take into account (phrase) – consider, bear in mind, heed/note.
- plurality (noun) – a large number of people (coexist in a community).
- arbitrary (adjective) – capricious, personal (whim/choice), erratic/irregular.
- systemic (adjective) – constructional, organizational, constitutional.
- opaqueness (noun) – uncertainty, mysteriousness, obliqueness.
- unaddressed (adjective) – unnoticed, not considered, concealed.
- colour (verb) – influence, affect, distort.
- unaddressed (adjective) – not dealt with, not considered.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 The Hindu Editorial (A controversial transfer) – Sep 10, 2019: