The Hindu Editorial (Belated realisation) – Sep 10, 2019
In a dramatic set of posts on Twitter, U.S. President Donald Trump announced the cessation of peace negotiations with the Taliban while also revealing… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Belated realisation)- Sep 10, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Belated realisation) – Sep 10, 2019:
- belated (adjective) – late, behind time, not on time/delayed.
- erratic (adjective) – irregular, unsteady, unreliable.
- cessation (noun) – termination, stopping, end.
- insurgent (adjective) – dissenting, agitational, rebel.
- retreat (noun) – resort; a silent or private place in which one can rest and relax.
- stock (noun) – reputation, standing, status, position.
- maverick (noun) – unusual, irregular, different/atypical.
- diplomacy (noun) – international politics, foreign affairs, foreign policy.
- agreement in principle (noun) – a legally enforceable, but incompletely specified, agreement between parties that identifies the fundamental terms that are intended to be or are agreed upon.
- safe haven (verb) – refuge, shelter, asylum, place of safety/security.
- wanton (adjective) – relating to something cruel or violent (action done) deliberately.
- fatality (noun) – death, casualty, mortality/loss.
- perversely (adverb) – irrationally, unreasonably, wrongly.
- bargaining chip (noun) – something which is used to negotiate with others while trying to get a deal/an agreement.
- of sorts (phrase) – of a somewhat unusual method.
- undermine (verb) – weaken, spoil, damage.
- seek (verb) – try, attempt, aim.
- concession (noun) – grant of privilege; favour, allowance, exception.
- call off (phrasal verb) – cancel, abandon, shelve/drop.
- ambiguity (noun) – inexactness, doubtfulness, obscurity/opacity.
- wrack a variant of rack (verb) – torment, afflict, torture/pain.
- internecine (adjective) – destructive/deadly/ruinous, internal, civil.
- one’s writ (noun) – one’s power, one’s authority, one’s domination.
- prevail (verb) – be in existence, be present, be in effect.
- durable (adjective) – long-lasting, persistent, continuing.
- stakeholder (noun) – a person with an interest in something.
- eschew (verb) – abstain from, refrain from, give up.
- delink (verb) – separate, isolate, cut off.
- embolden (verb) – give courage, encourage, strengthen/fortify.
- belatedly (adverb) – later than expected; tardily.
- beleaguered (adjective) – hard-pressed, troubled, in difficulties.
- get away with (phrasal verb) – escape blame/punishment.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Belated realisation) – Sep 10, 2019: