This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-1 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- heed (verb) – pay attention to, take notice of, listen to.
- climate change (noun) – a long-term change in the Earth’s climate, or of a region on Earth (Courtesy: NASA).
- ratify (verb) – give consent (to agreement) or make agreement official; authorize, approve.
- accord (noun) – pact, treaty, agreement.
- greenhouse gas (noun) – heat trapping gas; a gas (such as water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, etc) in the atmosphere that absorbs and emits radiation, causing greenhouse effect and warming of Earth’s temperature (Courtesy: VOA Learning English).
- negate (verb) – invalidate, nullify; reverse, annul.
- hearten (verb) – cheer up, encourage/boost, reassure.
- renewable energy (noun) – energy generated from the natural resources (such as water, wind, solar energy)
- firm up (phrasal verb) – make strong, make definite, make certain; strengthen (an agreement/plan).
- set out (phrasal verb) – aim, intend, mean/have in mind.
- mitigate (verb) – alleviate, reduce, lessen.
- phenomena (noun) – plural form of phenomenon (phenomenon – occurrence, event, happening).
- underscore (verb) – call attention to, emphasize, highlight.
- pledge (verb) – promise, vow, swear.
- deplete (verb) – exhaust, use up/consume, decrease/diminish.
- global carbon budget (noun) – it can be defined as a tolerable quantity of greenhouse gas emissions that can be emitted in total over a specified time globally.
- cap (noun) – limit, upper limit, ceiling.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.