India Inc.’s earnings performance for the second quarter of the financial year has turned out to be largely in line with street expectations.For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-2 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- hasty (adjective) – quick, hurried, fast, speedy.
- rebound (noun) – an increase in something (value, amount) after a decline.
- transitory (adjective) – temporary, short-lived, short-term.
- in the wake of (phrase) – aftermath, as a consequence of, as a result of.
- striking (adjective) – noticeable, prominent; significant.
- revive (verb) – reintroduce, re-establish, restore.
- disbursement (noun) – spending, expending, paying out.
- jubilant (adjective) – elated, triumphant, joyful.
- generous (adjective) – liberal, ungrudging; kind/good.
- liquidity (noun) – liquid assets; cash; (liquid asset is an asset which can be easily sold/converted into cash without losing its value).
- dampen (verb) – decrease, reduce, lower.
- surge (noun) – sudden increase, rise, growth.
- ramp up (phrasal verb) – increase or cause to increase.
- yield (verb) – produce, give, provide.
- materialise (verb) – happen, take place, occur.
- horizon (noun) – range of experience, outlook, perspective/perception.
- full-blown (adjective) – fully developed, complete, thorough/entire.
- sustainable (adjective) – maintainable, valid, reliable/dependable.
- uptick (noun) – a small increase.
- hazy (adjective) – indistinct, unclear, ill-defined.
- smog (noun) – fog mixed with smoke; (a cloud of dirty air).
- engulf (verb) – affect/disturb, overwhelm, overrun.
- fire-fighting (noun) – an act of dealing problems as they come (instead of avoiding them strategically).
- swiftly (adverb) – quickly, rapidly, fast.
- unravel (verb) – solve/resolve, clarify, decipher/explain.
- tangle (noun) – muddle, mix-up, confusion.
- fillip (noun) – stimulus, boost, encouragement/impetus.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.