A century ago, on November 7, the world was shaken by a revolution in Russia. Public recollection on the centenary has been scanty in India thus far, perhaps out of the fear that remembering the Russian Revolution is tantamount to endorsing its outcomes. . For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-3 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- scanty (adverb) – meagre, limited, minimal.
- tantamount to (adjective) – equivalent to, virtually the same as, comparable to.
- gainsay (verb) – deny, dispute, disagree with.
- benign (adjective) – not harmful, non-dangerous; mild and favourable.
- interregnum (noun) – interim, interval , intervening time/period.
- annihilate (verb) – destroy, wipe out, obliterate.
- disband (verb) – break up, disperse, demobilize/dissolve.
- peasantry (noun) – agricultural labourers.
- famine (noun) – food shortages; poverty, drought/paucity.
- mete out (verb) – dispense, hand out, apportion (harsh treatment).
- reminiscent (adjective) – similar to, comparable with, bearing comparison with.
- emancipation (noun) – freeing, liberation, setting free.
- unabashedly (adverb) – without embarrassment or shame.
- premise (on) (verb) – base a theory.
- rationale (noun) – reason/basis; principle; motivation.
- perpetrate (verb) – commit, carry out, perform.
- avowedly (adverb) – openly, stated/admitted publicly.
- comintern (noun) – The Communist International, abbreviated as Comintern and also known as the Third International (1919–1943), was an international communist organization that advocated world communism.
- bourgeois (adjective) – middle-class; conservative, conventional.
- ostensibly (adverb) – seemingly, evidently; apparently.
- liquidation (noun) – termination, dispatch, collapse.
- fall out (phrasal verb) – quarrel, argue, fight.
- implode (verb) – break up, collapse, break into pieces.
- diminution (noun) – curtailment, decline, weakening.
- moot (adjective) – questionable, debatable; unresolved/unsettled.
- expunge (verb) – erase, remove, delete.
- apparatchik (noun) – official; a member of a Communist Party apparat.
- toil (noun) – hard work, labour, struggle/effort.
- cataclysmic (adjective) – disastrous, catastrophic, devastating.
- spectre (noun) – ghost, phantom; threat/menace.
- bring home (phrase) – focus attention to; underline, highlight.
- underlying (adjective) – fundamental, basic, essential.
- domino effect (noun) – domino effect or chain reaction is the cumulative effect produced when one event sets off a chain of similar events.
- mundane (adjective) – usual, common, ordinary.
- denunciation (noun) – revelation, display; censure/rebuke.
- approbation (noun) – approval, praise, assent.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.