This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- nudge (noun) – encouragement, prompt, prod/push.
- salve (noun) – something that is soothing/comforting/easing difficulties (ointment).
- beleaguered (adjective) – troubled, hard-pressed, under-stressed.
- feisty (adjective) – energetic, aggressive, strong/active.
- fend off (phrasal verb) – prevent, stop, block.
- foray (noun) – a brief attempt to get involved in a new activity/sphere.
- anti-incumbency (noun) – a situation which is against elected officials currently in power; discontent against ruling government/ party in power.
- stint (noun) – period, time, term (at a particular work).
- distaste (noun) – dislike, disfavour, aversion.
- consolidation (noun) – the process of strengthening something or the act of making something stronger.
- high-handedness (noun) – arrogance, heavy-handedness, rigidness/oppressiveness.
- disenchantment (noun) – disappointment, dissatisfaction, discontent.
- grassroots (adjective) – relating to or of people, general public, population.
- chunk (noun) – a significant amount of.
- formidable (adjective) – frightening, terrifying, threatening.
- agrarian (adjective) – relating to cultivating/farming.
- ravage (verb) – devastate, ruin, destroy.
- nourish (verb) – foster, maintain, entertain.
- trafficking (adjective) – relating to the activity of buying and selling goods/people illegally.
- nexus (noun) – junction/juncture, link; central point.
- revival (noun) – improvement, betterment; re-establishment.
- groom (verb) – prepare, train, make ready.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.