In the post-Mandal era, Uttar Pradesh, the country’s most populous State that is made up of diverse regions, has rarely witnessed a landslide, leave alone of such dimensions, in an Assembly election…. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- landslide (adjective) – decisive, runaway (victory), overwhelming majority.
- interpret (verb) – understand, construe, take.
- denominational (adjective) – factional, partisan.
- populous (adjective) – densely/heavily populated.
- clutch (noun) – group, set, collection.
- marshal (verb) – usher, guide, escort/conduct.
- sundry (adjective) – several, various, diverse.
- sweep (noun) – win (all contests with a great majority).
- implication (noun) – hint, intimation, indication.
- dynamic (noun) – a force which makes change/progress with the system.
- tap (verb) – make use of, exploit, use/utilize.
- disgruntlement (noun) – disaffection, dissatisfaction, dis-contention/unhappiness.
- forge (verb) – build up, set up, create/establish.
- patriarch (noun) – a man who controls family/group/society/organization.
- incumbent (noun) – a person who is in office and holds power, functionary, official.
- electorate (noun) – all the people who entitled to vote in an election.
- patronage (noun) – backing, support/assistance, defence.
- abstract (adjective) – theoretical, conceptual, notional.
- expediency (noun) – advantage, benefit, convenience.
- perception (noun) – understanding, insight, intuition.
- ambivalent (adjective) – equivocal, uncertain/unsure, doubtful.
- majoritarianism (noun) – a philosophy that states that a majority (sometimes categorized by religion, language, social class, or some other identifying factor) of the population is entitled to a certain degree of primacy (priority) in society, and has the right to make decisions that affect the society (Courtesy: Wikipedia).
- pitch (noun) – level, intensity, point/degree.
- divisive (adjective) – isolating/separating, dividing; disharmonious.
- adhere (verb) – abide (by), stick (to), comply/cooperate (with).
- escalation (noun) – rapid increase, rise; intensification.
- subvert (verb) – destabilize, unsettle; undermine/weaken.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.