The timing of the announcement by Nicola Sturgeon, Scotland’s first minister, to seek a second referendum on independence for Scotland may be no more than strategic. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- on the rocks (phrase) – in difficulty, in trouble, breaking down.
- referendum (noun) – public vote; a direct vote in which people cast ballots to decide on a specific issue or policy (Courtesy: VOA Learning English).
- overwhelmingly (adverb) – extremely, very intensely, to a great degree.
- recede (verb)- diminish, lessen, decrease.
- revive (verb) – re-introduce, re-establish, restore/relaunch.
- futile (adjective) – pointless, useless, ineffective.
- assuage (verb) – decrease, reduce, ease.
- red line (noun) – boundary, limit.
- counterpart (noun) – a person who serves the same job/function but in a different location; equivalent.
- bloc (noun) – alliance, association, coalition.
- coherent (adjective) – logical, reasonable, rational.
- slump (noun) – steep fall, collapse/decline, tumble/plummet.
- mounting (adjective) – increasing, growing, intensifying.
- fiscal deficit (noun) – the difference between total expenditure and total income of the government.
- champion (noun) – advocate, proponent, promoter/supporter.
- run up against (phrasal verb) – experience, encounter, face/meet (a difficulty/problem).
- cut much ice (phrase) – have much influence or effect.
- tear/rip apart (phrasal verb) – divide, split, disunite.
- sovereignty (noun) – autonomy, independence, self-government/rule.
- devolution (noun) – decentralization, delegation, distribution.
- short-sighted (adjective) – narrow-minded, unimaginative, lacking foresight.
- promise the moon (phrase) – excessive/elaborate/fancy promises which can not be realized.
- secessionist (noun) – a person who supports the withdrawal of a group from a larger entity, especially a political entity.
- ratify (verb) – give consent (to agreement) or make agreement official; authorize, approve.
- undermine (verb) – subvert, weaken/reduce, compromise.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.