Manipur will vote in 38 of its 60 Assembly constituencies on Saturday in the first of two phases. This election is… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- blockade (noun) – disruption of the economic activities (e.g: supply of essential goods and others) of an area; siege, beleaguerment, encirclement.
- fancy (verb) – wish for, desire; think/imagine.
- discourse (noun) – debate, argument, discussion.
- run-up (noun) – a period/time before an important event.
- hold (noun) – influence, power, control.
- ethnic (adjective) – relating to a population subgroup (cultural, national, traditional/folk) with a common national or cultural tradition.
- fray (noun) – battle, engagement, conflict.
- grassroots (adjective) – relating to or of people, general public, population.
- momentous (adjective) – significant, important, crucial/critical.
- persistence (noun) – stability, continuance, permanency.
- disaffection (noun) – dissatisfaction, discontent, frustration.
- punitive (adjective) – penal, disciplinary, corrective.
- prevail upon (verb) – persuade, induce, coerce/influence.
- precipitate (verb) – expedite, advance, accelerate.
- insurgent (adjective) – rebellious, rebel, revolutionary.
- shore up (phrasal verb) – support, assist, buttress/strengthen.
- electorate (noun) – all the people who entitled to vote in an election.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.