Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe’s decision to fire his Vice-President Emmerson Mnangagwa, citing disloyalty and deceitfulness, has triggered another….. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-2 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- stake (noun) – contest, challenge, struggle.
- fire (verb) – dismiss, discharge, layoff.
- disloyalty (noun) – faithlessness, falseness, inconstancy.
- deceitfulness (noun) – dishonest, untruthful, lying/fraudulent.
- successor (noun) – heir, descendant; replacement/next in line.
- murmur (verb) – speaking inaudibly quiet utterance, whisper/undertone.
- incumbent (noun) – a person who is in office and holds power; functionary, official.
- turn the tide (phrase) – change/reverse something.
- faction (noun) – a small group, section, division (of dissenter within a large group).
- crackdown (noun) – clampdown, getting tough/severe measures, suppression.
- fled (past of flee) (verb) – flight, escape, exit.
- alienate (verb) – estrange, set/drive apart, divide/separate.
- capitalise (verb) – take advantage of, exploit, benefit from.
- discord (noun) – strife, conflict, hostility.
- ride on (phrasal verb) – depend on.
- oversee (verb) – supervise, administer, manage.
- deterioration (noun) – worsening, decline, collapse/failure.
- unbridled (adjective) – unrestrained, unconstrained, uncontrolled.
- hyperinflation (noun) – extremely/maximum, uncontrolled economic inflation occurring at a very high rate.
- scrap (verb) – abandon, cancel, abolish (a plan/policy).
- crumbling (adjective) – disintegrating, falling down, collapsing/decaying.
- shambles (noun) – chaos, mess, disorder/disorganization.
- expulsion (noun) – removal, debarment, dismissal.
- chaos (noun) – disorder, disruption, confusion.
- statesman (noun) – senior politician, respected political figure, political leader.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.