This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-1 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- outrage (noun) – injustice, disgrace, affront.
- grave (adjective) – serious/severe, terrible, awful.
- amidst (preposition) – amid, in the middle of; during.
- outcry (noun) – protest, complaints, clamour.
- confess (verb) – acknowledge, admit, affirm.
- call off (phrasal verb) – cancel, abandon, shelve/scrap.
- glare (noun) – public attention/interest, media attention.
- succumb (verb) – yield, give in, submit/surrender.
- wrap up (phrasal verb) – conclude, finish, end.
- confession (noun) – admission, acknowledgement, revelation.
- downright (adverb) – complete, total, absolute.
- disgraceful (adjective) – shameful, shocking, contemptible.
- primitive (adjective) – crude/rude, simple, unsophisticated.
- muddle (noun) – mix-up, misunderstanding, mistake.
- telling (adjective) – striking/strong, significant, important.
- botch (up) (verb) – mismanage, mishandle, do (a task) badly or carelessly.
- incarceration (noun) – imprisonment, confinement, custody.
- narrative (noun) – description, statement/report; portrayal.
- heinous (adjective) – wicked, horrible, terrible.
- disquiet (noun) – worry, concern; upset.
- inevitable (adjective) – unavoidable, unpreventable, certain.
- onus (noun) – responsibility, duty, burden.
- pitfall (noun) – danger, risk, problem.
- juvenile (adjective) – young, teenage, underage.
- reflexively (adverb) – automatically, spontaneously, unthinkingly/instinctively.
- invoke (verb) – cite, refer to; cause.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.