The Hindu Editorial (Visa power) – Feb 19, 2020
The government has explained its decision to detain and deport British Labour MP Debbie Abrahams, saying… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Visa power) – Feb 19, 2020.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Visa power) – Feb 19, 2020:
- deportation (noun) – expulsion/expelling, banishment, exile, expatriation.
- mounting (adjective) – increasing, growing, escalating.
- diplomatic (adjective) – (delicate & sensitive) consular, foreign-policy, political.
- offensive (noun) – forceful campaign, movement, act of aggression, drive/push.
- accommodative (adjective) – accommodating, cooperative, helpful.
- detain (verb) – restrain, hold, take in (for questioning).
- deport (verb) – banish, exile, expel, evict/expatriate.
- revoke (verb) – cancel, repeal, reverse, abrogate, nullify.
- prompt (verb) – give rise to, bring about, cause, trigger.
- proclivity (noun) – liking, inclination, tendency/leaning.
- echo (verb) – repeat, say again, restate, reiterate.
- line (noun) – policy; position.
- step up (phrasal verb) – increase, intensify, strengthen, augment.
- inimical (adjective) – hostile, unfriendly, opposed/unfavourable.
- nothing short of (phrase) – nothing less than.
- ham-handed (adjective) – ham-fisted, inefficient/incompetent, amateurish, useless.
- end up (verb) – come/appear, find oneself (to a particular course of action in the end).
- spotlight (verb) – focus attention on, highlight, draw attention to.
- parallel (noun) – similarity, comparison, resemblance.
- influential (adjective) – powerful, authoritative, strong.
- snub (noun) – humiliation, insult, affront/rebuff.
- apparently (adverb) – seemingly, evidently, it appears that.
- bank on (phrasal verb) – rely on, depend on, count on.
- adverse (adjective) – unfavourable, disadvantageous, bad.
- consequence (noun) – outcome, ramification, repercussion.
- demarche (noun) – a political step, initiative, scheme/operation.
- ambassador (noun) – envoy, diplomat, consul.
- advisory (noun) – statement, declaration, message.
- affairs (noun) – matters, activities, concerns.
- envoy (noun) – representative, delegate, mediator, spokesperson.
- in the same vein (phrase) – of similar style/tone.
- boycott (noun) – restriction, ban/bar, prohibition.
- whimsical (adjective) – unusual, unconventional, uncommon; temperamental, impulsive, unpredictable.
- pride (verb) – be proud of, revel in, take satisfaction in, delight in.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 The Hindu Editorial (Visa power) – Feb 19, 2020: