The Hindu Editorial (Vienna’s woes) – Nov 06, 2020
The attack in Vienna that killed four people on Monday night underscores the transnational threat European countries face from Islamist terrorists. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Vienna’s woes) – Nov 06, 2020.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Vienna’s woes) – Nov 06, 2020:
- woes (noun) – trouble, difficulty, problem.
- authorities (noun) – officials, officialdom, the government, the establishment, the bureaucracy.
- build on/upon (phrasal verb) – use something as a basis/base for; be based on, rely on, turn to, trust in.
- pluralism (noun) – (of people) the practice exist in harmony irrespective of various differences.
- secularism (noun) – the belief that religion should not have a strong influence in education or other public parts of society.
- underscore (verb) – underline, emphasize, highlight.
- transnational (adjective) – involving/relating to two/more countries.
- assault (noun) – attack, offensive, onslaught.
- behead (verb) – cut off the head of, decapitate, to remove the head of.
- synagogue (noun) – a Jewish house of worship; a building in which Jewish people worship & study their religion.
- conviction (noun) – pronouncement of guilt, sentence, judgement.
- sentence (verb) – punish, convict.
- convict (noun) – criminal, offender, lawbreaker.
- slip off/under the radar (phrase) – to go unnoticed/undetected.
- plug (verb) – stop, block, seal/close.
- loophole (noun) – an ambiguity in the law; flaw/fault, defect.
- plug the loopholes (phrase) – change something so that there is no longer a loophole (flaw/fault/defect).
- address (verb) – deal with, handle, tackle, grapple with.
- radicalisation (noun) – the process of causing someone to follow radical ways particularly in politics (& society).
- counter (verb) – oppose, resist, tackle, face, confront.
- cohesion (noun) – unity, togetherness, solidarity, coherence.
- social cohesion (noun) – the capacity of a society to ensure the well-being of all its members, minimizing disparities and avoiding marginalization (or) the belief held by citizens of a given nation-state that
they share a moral community, which enables them to trust each other.
- conservative (adjective) – right-wing, reactionary, traditionalist, ultra-right.
- fiery (adjective) – strong, powerful, vigorous.
- anti-immigrant (adjective) – voicing opposition to immigrants (non-natives, foreigners, migrants).
- call for (phrasal verb) – require, publicly ask/necessitate, demand.
- immigrant (noun) – non-native, foreigner, migrant.
- civilisation (noun) – culture, enlightenment, way of life.
- barbarity (noun) – cruelty, brutality, inhumanity, atrocity.
- Islamophobic (adjective) – (of a person) having an unreasonable fear and dislike of Muslims.
- far-right (adjective) – relating to the extreme right wing of a political party or group; extremely conservative, rightist.
- leeway (noun) – freedom, scope/flexibility, latitude/elbow room.
- jihadist (noun) – an Islamic extremist.
- discord (noun) – lack of harmony, disagreement, lack of agreement.
- unleash (verb) – let loose, release, set free.
- nationalist (adjective) – patriotic.
- seize on/upon (phrasal verb) – take advantage of, exploit, grasp (with both hands), grab.
- bolster (verb) – fortify, support, reinforce/buttress.
- fortunes (noun) – circumstances (the success or failure of someone), state of affairs, conditions.
- with an eye on (phrase) – have some attention to something (or) have some focus on something.
- evict (verb) – expel, eject, oust, remove, throw out.
- Islamism (noun) – Islamic fundamentalism; it is defined as the belief that Islam should guide social and political as well as personal life. Islamism is not a form of the Muslim faith. It is, rather, a political ideology.
- cue (noun) – hint, indication.
- two-front attack (noun) – two-front attack is one in which attack takes place on two geographically separate fronts.
- secular (adjective) – non-religious.
- terror-hit (adjective) – affected/damaged by terror attacks.
- have one’s (own) way (phrase) – to get what one wants (despite of opposition).
- clamp down on (phrasal verb) – crack down on, limit, restrain, restrict, keep under control; prevent, stop, put an end to.
- ideology (noun) – system of belief, set of principles, profession of faith.
- equality (noun) – fairness, justness, impartiality.
- step up (phrasal verb) – speed up, increase, accelerate, quicken.
- deradicalisation (noun) – the measures taken to motivate someone (with extreme views) to adapt less radical (extreme) views in their political or religious beliefs.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Vienna’s woes) – Nov 06, 2020: