The Hindu Editorial (Uphill rescue) – Mar 11, 2021
Four days short of four years after he was sworn in, Trivendra Singh Rawat was asked by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) central leadership to make way for Tirath Singh Rawat as Chief Minister of Uttarakhand. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Uphill rescue) – Mar 11, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (Uphill rescue) – Mar 11, 2021:
- uphill (adjective) – arduous, difficult, hard/tough, taxing, demanding.
- rescue (noun) – saving (from danger or difficulty).
- change of guard (phrase) – (figuratively) a situation in which a person assigned with a task/responsibilities in a firm/institution/organisation is replaced by another person.
- indicative (adjective) – expressive, suggestive, representative.
- run (verb) – manage, administer, direct, control.
- short of (phrase) – less than.
- swear in (phrasal verb) – admit into office, inaugurate, introduce (into office).
- make way (for) (phrase) – move aside, clear the way, stand back, make room.
- outgoing (adjective) – departing, leaving.
- put/keep one’s house in order (phrase) – improve one’s own behaviour before criticizing others.
- distance oneself from (phrasal verb) – denounce, disown, reject, condemn, disagree with.
- have less to do with (phrase) – have less contact/connection with.
- liking (noun) – preference, predisposition, proclivity.
- imposition (noun) – burden, pressure, strain.
- far from (phrase) – not, not at all.
- build bridges (phrase) – encourage/support friendly relationship between different groups.
- alienate (verb) – set apart, drive apart, isolate, detach, distance.
- ecosystem (noun) – complex situation/environment.
- concentrate (verb) – centralize, centre.
- functionary (noun) – official.
- sideline (verb) – remove from the centre of activity.
- fall into the hands of (phrase) – be captured by, be possessed by (someone).
- bureaucrat (noun) – a powerful officer, public/government servant, office-bearer, civil servant, functionary, mandarin.
- turn against (phrasal verb) – become hostile to, take a dislike to, cause to be unfriendly towards; oppose, go against, reject, object, stand against.
- allegation (noun) – charge, accusation, indictment.
- hasten (verb) – speed up, quicken, accelerate, expedite.
- downfall (noun) – toppling, deposition, ousting, unseating, elimination; loss of power.
- determining (adjective) – key, crucial, significant.
- singular (adjective) – sole, only, solitary.
- flock (together) (verb) – gather, assemble, go/come in a large number (to form a group).
- let (verb) – allow, permit.
- kitty (noun) – a sum of something (money/things) made up of small contributions.
- incoming (adjective) – succeeding, new, soon to take office.
- give up on (phrasal verb) – stop having faith; stop having belief (in someone).
- handpicked (adjective) – specially chosen, specially selected.
- uncharacteristic (adjective) – unusual, uncommon, unconventional.
- mark (verb) – indicate, represent, signify, be a sign of.
- discontinuity (noun) – disconnection, break, lack of unity, disruption.
- driver (noun) – factor.
- autonomous (noun) – independent, self-determining, self-sufficient.
- base (noun) – support.
- rival (noun) – competitor, opponent, contestant, contender, challenger.
- at best (phrase) – only, merely.
- tolerate (verb) – accept, swallow, admit of, recognize, acknowledge.
- costly (adjective) – catastrophic, ruinous, disastrous, damaging, devastating, crippling.
- setback (noun) – problem, difficulty, issue.
- attribute (verb) – ascribe, assign, connect/associate with.
- therein (adverb) – in that place.
- lie (verb) – be present, exist.
- paradox (noun) – contradiction, mystery, conundrum, anomaly.
- dilemma (noun) – quandary, predicament, difficulty.
- behemoth (noun) – a large and powerful organization.
- measure (noun) – action, step.
- satrap (noun) – local ruler, subordinate official, governor (of a province in ancient Persian empire).
- synonymous with (adjective) – closely associated with.
- profile (noun) – outline, shape, form.
- build on (phrasal verb) – develop, enhance, expand.
- notion (noun) – idea, belief, opinion, view.
- project (verb) – convey, put across, communicate, present.
- corresponding (adjective) – relative, proportional, proportionate, equivalent, consistent, matching.
- disenchantment (noun) – disappointment, dissatisfaction, discontent.
- brew (verb) – develop, loom, impend, fume, simmer, smoulder (of something bad/unpleasant situation).
- rank (noun) – the people belonging to a group.
- appeal (noun) – attraction, charisma, drawing power.
- exception (noun) – special case; an anomaly, peculiarity.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in a different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
The Hindu Editorial (Uphill rescue) – Mar 11, 2021: