The Hindu Editorial (Trump & impeachment) – Sep 27, 2019
U.S. President Donald Trump discussed former Vice-President Joe Biden in a July 2019 telephone conversation with Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Trump & impeachment)- Sep 27, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Trump & impeachment) – Sep 27, 2019:
- impeachment (noun) – the act of charging or accusing (a public official) with a crime done while in office.
- meddle (verb) – handle, interfere intrude/intervene unwantedly.
- shrug off (phrasal verb) – disregard, dismiss, ignore.
- lean on (phrasal verb) – depend on, count on, rely on.
- allegedly (adverb) – supposedly, purportedly, reportedly.
- bid (noun) – attempt, effort, endeavour/try.
- whistleblower (noun) – one who reveals others’ illegal activities in public or to the government/authority.
- allege (verb) – declare, affirm, claim.
- solicit (verb) – ask for, request, appeal to/canvass.
- interference (noun) – intervention, meddling, unwarranted involvement.
- lock down (phrasal verb) – confine, restraint, detain/encircle.
- transcript (noun) – written version/copy, reproduction, record/text.
- exacerbate (verb) – make worse, worsen, aggravate, compound.
- sought past and past participle of seek (verb) – try, attempt, aim.
- freeze (verb) – fix, hold, set.
- outright (adjective) – complete, utter, absolute.
- quid pro quo (noun) – exchange, trade, payments.
- bipartisanship (noun) – agreement/cooperation between two (opposite & big) political parties.
- unanimously (adverb) – without opposition, agreed to by everyone involved.
- call for (phrasal verb) – require, necessitate, demand.
- allegation (noun) – charge, accusation, indictment.
- credible (adjective) – convincing, acceptable; reasonable/valid.
- backdrop (noun) – situation, scenario, context.
- exculpatory (adjective) – justifiable, explainable, permissible.
- prosecutor (noun) – a lawyer who presents the government’s case against someone accused of a crime.
- contrarily (adverb) – in a conflicting manner.
- ignominious (adjective) – humiliating, disgraceful, embarrassing/shameful.
- betrayal (noun) – revelation, disclosure, disloyalty.
- compromise (verb) – undermine, weaken, be detrimental to, damage.
- smoking gun (noun) – an unquestionable/conclusive evidence which proves that someone has done a crime/wrongdoing.
- bring down (phrasal verb) – oust, remove, dismiss (from a position/power).
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Trump & impeachment) – Sep 27, 2019: