The Hindu Editorial (Subject to people’s will) – Sep 27, 2019
With the Election Commission of India agreeing to defer byelections to 15 of the 17 vacant Assembly seats in Karnataka,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Subject to people’s will) – Sep 27, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Subject to people’s will) – Sep 27, 2019:
- bar (verb) – prohibit, ban, forbid/prevent.
- defer (verb) – delay, hold off, postpone.
- defector (noun) – dissenter, nonconformist.
- breather (noun) – break, rest/pause, interval.
- by dint of (noun) – by means of.
- limbo (noun) – an uncertain period, in a state of uncertainty, neglected/abandoned condition.
- evident (adjective) – obvious, apparent, clear.
- cumulatively (adverb) – as a total/whole, collectively.
- beg the question (phrase) – raise a point; invite question.
- letter and spirit (phrase) – adhering to /obeying both literal interpretation/wording and the spirit/intent/purpose of the law.
- Anti-defection law (noun) – The 10th Schedule to the Constitution, popularly referred to as the ‘Anti-Defection Law,’ was inserted by the 52nd Amendment in 1985. The grounds of disqualification are specified in Paragraph 2 of the 10th Schedule. A member would incur a disqualification under paragraph 2 (1) (a) when he “voluntarily gives up his membership of a party” and under 2 (1) (b) when he/she votes (or abstains from voting) contrary to the directive issued by the party. (Courtesy: The Hindu).
- undermine (verb) – weaken, spoil, damage.
- curry favour (phrase) – bring oneself into favour with someone by submissive/obedient behaviour.
- loaves plural form of loaf (noun) – slice, share, portion.
- portfolio (noun) – the position/duties of a minister/secretary of state.
- turncoat (noun) – betrayer, traitor, defector.
- rigmarole (noun) – lengthy explanation/lengthy process.
- machinations (noun) – schemes/plots, intrigues, conspiracies.
- sit on (phrasal verb) – withhold, keep silent about, keep quiet about; fail to deal with.
- come up with (phrasal verb) – submit/produce, propose, put forward.
- fractiousness (noun) – unruliness, waywardness.
- stasis (noun) – inactivity, sluggishness, idleness/dullness.
- sordid (adjective) – cheap, disgusting, dishonest, shameful.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 The Hindu Editorial (Subject to people’s will) – Sep 27, 2019: