The Hindu Editorial (Tricky call ahead) – Oct 01, 2018
The Reserve Bank of India’s Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) is set to meet for three days, October 3-5, to decide its policy stance. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Tricky call ahead) – Oct 01, 2018.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Tricky call ahead) – Oct 01, 2018
- call (noun) – decision, judgement.
- inflation (noun) – increase of price level of goods & services & vice versa decrease of currency value.
- liquidity (noun) – a measure of activity (i.e. the ability to buy or sell easily) in a market.
- Federal Reserve (US) (noun) – the central banking system of the United States (The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is India’s central banking institution).
- benchmark (adjective) – standard, basis.
- borrowing costs (noun) – borrowing costs are interest and other costs incurred by an enterprise in connection with the borrowing of funds.
- bid (noun) – attempt, effort, try.
- heightened (adjective) – intensified, increased, amplified.
- outflow (noun) – money/assets flowing out of (or leaving) a particular country’s economy.
- arbitrage (noun) – buying an asset in one market and selling the same/similar asset in another market to make a profit.
- portfolio (noun) – investments, shares, bonds.
- depreciation (noun) – devaluation, decrease in value, reduction.
- Brent (crude) (noun) – a classification of crude oil produced from the oil platform in the North Sea.
- compelling (adjective) – irresistible, forceful, reasonable/uncontrollable.
- unequivocal (adjective) – unambiguous, unmistakable, indisputable.
- headline inflation (noun) – it is a measure of the total inflation within an economy, including commodities such as food and energy prices (e.g., oil and gas). core inflation (noun) – it is a measure of the total inflation within an economy, excluding commodities such as food and energy prices (which change frequently).
- underlying (adjective) – fundamental, basic, essential.
- persist (verb) – continue/carry on, remain/linger/stay.
- augur well (verb) – indicate, signify, denote.
- benign (adjective) – favourable, advantageous, beneficial.
- harden (verb) – rise, increase to a steady high price.
- Minimum Support Price (MSP) (noun) – it is a form of market intervention by the Government of India to insure agricultural producers against any sharp fall in farm prices.
- kick in (phrasal verb) – come into effect.
- roil (verb) – disturb, trouble/scramble, muddle/mess up.
- calculus (noun) – a method of calculation.
- soothe (verb) – comfort/pacify, settle, conciliate.
- ward off (phrasal verb) – prevent, avert, oppose/resist.
- unforeseen (adjective) – unpredicted, unexpected, unanticipated.
- volatility (noun) – fluctuation, inconsistency, unpredictability.
- repo rate (noun) – it is the rate at which the central bank of a country (RBI in case of India) lends money to commercial banks in the event of any shortfall of funds.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Tricky call ahead) – Oct 01, 2018: