The Hindu Editorial (Time tests ties) – Apr 10, 2021
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov’s visit to Delhi this week, saw both he and External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar reaffirming traditional India-Russia ties, but there were signs that those ties are being tested. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Time tests ties) – Apr 10, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (Time tests ties) – Apr 10, 2021:
- ties (noun) – association, relationship, bond, connection.
- strain (verb) – damage, impair, overburden.
- reaffirm (verb) – assert, state, assure again strongly.
- summit (noun) – meeting, conference, conclave (international meeting/conference of heads of state/government).
- due to (phrase) – because of, owing to, on account of, as a result of.
- coronavirus (CoV) (noun) – a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases. common signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties. In more severe cases, infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death. (Courtesy: WHO)
- pandemic (noun) – the worldwide spread of a new disease; The illness spreads around the world and typically affects a large number of people across a wide area.
- bilateral (adjective) – involving two groups or countries.
- front (noun) – a specific/particular situation or condition.
- make progress (phrase) – move forward, make strides; proceed, advance, improve.
- strategic (adjective) – relating to achieving long-term or overall goals.
- free trade (noun) – a policy to eliminate barriers/limits/regulations against imports and exports.
- free trade agreement (FTA) (noun) – a treaty/pact between two or more countries to facilitate trade and eliminate trade barriers.
- Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU) (noun) – The Eurasian Economic Union is an international organization for regional economic integration. It has international legal personality and is established by the Treaty on the Eurasian Economic Union. The EAEU provides for free movement of goods, services, capital and labour, pursues coordinated, harmonized and single policy in the sectors determined by the Treaty and international agreements within the Union. The Member-States of the Eurasian Economic Union are the Republic of Armenia, the Republic of Belarus, the Republic of Kazakhstan, the Kyrgyz Republic and the Russian Federation. It came into force on 1 January 2015.
- highlight (verb) – underline, underscore, emphasize, call attention to.
- cutting-edge (adjective) – state-of-the-art, innovational, pioneering, revolutionary.
- S-400 (Triumf) missile defence system (noun) – Developed by Russia, the S-400 (Triumph/Triumf) air defence system integrates a multifunction radar, autonomous detection and targeting systems, anti-aircraft missile systems, launchers, and command and control centre. It is capable of firing three types of missiles to create a layered defence. The S-400 is capable of destroying incoming hostile aircraft, missiles and even drones within a range of up to 400 km. It has a tracking capability of nearly 600 km.
- as well as (phrase) – and also, and in addition.
- avenue (noun) – way, method, direction, approach.
- International North-South Transport Corridor (INSTC) (noun) – a multi modal transportation established in 2000 for the purpose of promoting transportation cooperation among the Member States. It is a 7,200-km-long multi-mode network of ship, rail, and road route for moving freight between India, Iran, Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Russia, Central Asia and Europe. The route primarily involves moving freight from India, Iran, Azerbaijan and Russia via ship, rail and road.
- Chennai-Vladivostok Eastern Maritime Corridor (noun) – a proposed full-fledged sea route of approximately 5,600 nautical miles between Russia’s eastern port city, Vladivostok and Chennai on the eastern Indian seaboard.
- maritime (adjective) – of or related to the sea.
- corridor (noun) – a strip/swathe of land linking two areas (particularly by a road). (Maritime corridor means sea route connecting two places).
- divergence (noun) – difference, dissimilarity, variance; deviation, digression.
- worldview (noun) – beliefs, notions, principles, attitude, viewpoint.
- preface (verb) – start, begin, introduce (an event by doing something).
- The Indo-Pacific (region) (noun) – the Indo-Pacific region refers to the confluence (convergence) of the Pacific and Indian Oceans, which interconnect in Southeast Asia (Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, and more).
- strategy (noun) – plan of action (in order to achieve a more expansive set of political, economic, and security interests).
- continental (adjective) – belonging to a continent (mainland).
- derisive (adjective) – mocking, ridiculing, teasing.
- Quad/Quadrilateral (noun) – The ‘Quadrilateral’ is described as four democracies (the United States, Japan, Australia and India) with a shared objective to ensure and support a “free, open and prosperous” Indo-Pacific region.
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) (noun) – NATO was created in 1949 by the United States, Canada, and several Western European nations to provide collective security against the Soviet Union.
- alliance (noun) – association, union, partnership.
- inadvisable (adjective) – ill-advised, unwise, misguided, misconceived.
- counterproductive (adjective) – harmful, damaging, dangerous/destructive.
- push (noun) – effort, initiative, drive.
- come up against (phrasal verb) – encounter, come across, be faced with, confront.
- consistent (adjective) – steady, stable, constant, regular.
- optics (noun) – (typically in a political situation) the way in which an event is recognized by the public.
- fuel (verb) – intensify, exacerbate, vitalize.
- impression (noun) – feeling, notion, idea, thought, opinion.
- on the same page (phrase) – in agreement.
- absence (noun) – omission, exclusion.
- in focus (phrase) – distinct, clear-cut, clear, well defined, well focused.
- envoy (noun) – diplomat, consul, ambassador; representative, delegate, mediator.
- deepen (verb) – grow, increase, intensify.
- counterterrorism (noun) – anti-terrorism; actions taken to combat or prevent terrorism.
- raise eyebrows (phrase) – show surprise.
- address (verb) – tackle, deal with, attend to, try to sort out.
- time-tested (adjective) – established (over a period of time).
- decade (noun) – a period of ten years.
- take for granted (phrase) – understand, assume, presume (something is true without cross-questioning it); For example, if people take something for granted, they do not place much value on it. Or you believe it to be true, real or expected.
- dispel (verb) – eliminate, remove, dismiss.
- notion (noun) – idea, belief, opinion, view.
- strain (noun) – tension, stress, pressure, demands, burdens.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
The Hindu Editorial (Time tests ties) – Apr 10, 2021: