The Hindu Editorial (The power of scrutiny) – Jul 13, 2021
The Supreme Court of India’s verdict last week, upholding the authority of a committee of the Delhi Assembly to summon a senior official of Facebook,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (The power of scrutiny) – Jul 13, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (The power of scrutiny) – Jul 13, 2021:
- scrutiny (noun) – examination, inspection, investigation.
- Committee on Peace and Harmony (noun) – It is a Committee on Peace and Harmony inter-alia (among other things) to consider the factors and situations which have the potential to disturb communal harmony in the National Capital Territory of Delhi and suggest measures to eliminate such factors and deal with such situations so as to establish harmony among different religious or linguistic communities or social groups.
- harmony (noun) – unity, solidarity, peacefulness, amicability, cooperation.
- strike a blow (for) (phrase) – to act in support for something; to support something; help, back, speak up for, get behind, endorse.
- inquisitorial (adjective) – questioning, inquiring, probing, investigative.
- legislature (noun) – law-making or governing body; (state) government/authority, administration.
- uphold (verb) – confirm, endorse/approve, vindicate/validate.
- authority (noun) – power, control, jurisdiction.
- summon (verb) – call for, ask for, request/demand/order the presence of; serve with a writ.
- official (noun) – officer, executive.
- nuanced (adjective) – delicate, subtle.
- recognition (noun) – acknowledgement, acceptance, admission; realization.
- regulate (verb) – control, oversee, administer, govern something (by using rules and regulations).
- Act of Parliament (noun) – a form of legislation that is passed by both the Houses of Parliament (the Council of States (Rajya Sabha) and the House of the People (Lok Sabha)) with an objective to create a new law or to change an existing law.
- overreach (noun) – an act of trying to do too much or overdoing something.
- law and order (phrase) – lawfulness peacefulness, harmony (of a society).
- come under (phrasal verb) – be subjected to.
- jurisdiction (noun) – authority, control, power.
- point out (phrasal verb) – identify, mention, indicate, draw attention to.
- govern (verb) – regulate, control.
- Information Technology Act (noun) – it is an Act of the Indian Parliament notified on 17 October 2000. It is the primary law in India dealing with cybercrime and electronic commerce.
- be concerned with (verb) – be associated with, involve oneself in, get involved in, have something to do with, deal with, handle.
- go by (phrasal verb) – act in accordance with something; to be guided by something.
- merely (adverb) – only, simply, just.
- legislative (adjective) – relating to a legislature (state government).
- legislate (verb) – make laws, pass laws, enact laws, formulate laws, establish laws.
- governance (noun) – administration.
- consequently (adverb) – as a result, therefore, for this reason, because of that.
- recommendatory (adjective) – advisory, consultative, consulting, counseling.
- transgress (verb) – infringe, breach, contravene, disobey, break.
- field (noun) – sphere, domain, area of activity.
- amid (preposition) – in the middle of, surrounded by; during.
- discordance (noun) – lack of agreement, disagreement, difference, contention, confrontation, disunion.
- turf (noun) – area of influence, sphere of influence, area of activity, sphere of activity, territory, domain.
- bench (noun) – a court of law with a number of judges.
- spirit (noun) – true intention, real meaning, essential nature.
- federalism/federal framework/system (noun) – a system of government in which establishments such as states or provinces share power with a national government.
- not just that (phrase) – besides, as well as, moreover, above and beyond, by extension.
- social media intermediaries (SMI) (noun) – entities that enable online interaction between two or more users. It includes all social media platforms, communication and messaging channels.
- intermediary (noun) – social media website, eCommerce website, blogging platform, search engine, telecom provider, Internet platform (hosting user-generated content), cloud provider, etc.
- The Information Technology (Guidelines for Intermediaries and Digital Media Ethics Code) Rules, 2021 (noun) – the Information Technology (Intermediary Guidelines and Digital Media Ethics Code) Rules 2021 have been framed in exercise of powers under section 87 (2) of the Information Technology Act, 2000 and in supersession of the earlier Information Technology (Intermediary Guidelines) Rules 2011.
- heightened (adjective) – intensified, increased, enhanced.
- buy (verb) – accept, agree to, consent to, assent to.
- misinformation (noun) – disinformation, false information, alternative fact, fake news, false rumour.
- given (preposition) – considering, taking into account, bearing in mind.
- constraint (noun) – restriction, limitation, restraint.
- vis-à-vis (preposition) – concerning, with regard to, in relation to, as/in comparison with, in connection with (Vis-à-vis from Latin via. French, means literally “face-to-face).
- the very fact that (phrase) – used to refer to a particular situation under deliberation/consideration.
- encroach upon (verb) – intrude, trespass, impinge, infiltrate, violate, interfere with.
- open the floodgates (phrase) – to make something easier for a lot of things to happen (or) to make it possible for a lot of people to start doing something that was not permitted previously.
- with respect to (phrase) – concerning, regarding, relating to, with reference to.
- set the stage for (phrase) – prepare the circumstances for the beginning of something.