The Hindu Editorial (Sword against pen) – Jul 18, 2019
Journalists are facing heightened threats around the globe, according to the 2019 World Press Freedom Index compiled by Reporters Without Borders (RSF), covering 180 countries and territories. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Sword against pen) – Jul 18, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Sword against pen) – Jul 18, 2019:
- well-being (noun) – healthy state, comfort/happiness, prosperity.
- heightened (adjective) – increased, amplified, intensified.
- wake-up call (noun) – something which alerts a person to a problem and makes him/her to do some remedial action.
- hatred (noun) – dislike, hostility, resentment/aversion.
- degenerate (verb) – deteriorate, decline, slide/worsen.
- in the line of duty/work (phrase) – while someone is working.
- qualitatively (adverb) – in relation to the qualities of something.
- purge (verb) – clear-out, remove, get rid of, absolve.
- manifestation (noun) – display, indication, exhibition/presentation.
- be at the receiving end of (phrase) – be subjected to something.
- separatism (noun) – dissension, nonconformity, dissent/faction.
- insurgency (noun) – uprising, revolt, rebellion.
- anachronistic (adjective) – old-fashioned, bygone, outmoded.
- sedition (noun) – incitement (to riot/rebellion), agitation, trouble making/provocation.
- wrath (noun) – anger, rage/fury, annoyance/indignation.
- militant (noun) – extremist, radical, fanatic, sectarian/partisan.
- hyper-nationalist (adjective) – relating to a person with extreme/excessive nationalism.
- intolerance (noun) – prejudice, bias, bigotry/partisanship.
- objective (noun) – aim, intention, purpose.
- unprecedented (adjective) – not done or experienced before.
- barring (preposition) – except for, with the exception of, discounting.
- credentialed (adjective) – relating to something/someone given credentials.
- case in point (phrase) – example, instance, sample.
- isolated (adjective) – single, lone/sole, only.
- systematic (adjective) – methodical, organized/planned, orderly.
- hostile (adjective) – opposed; aggressive, confrontational/belligerent.
- rhetoric (noun) – bombast, loftiness, hyperbole/extravagant language.
- sovereignty (noun) – autonomy, independence/freedom, self-government.
- pursuit (noun) – aspiration for, quest for, search for.
- pluralist (adjective) – coexisting; relating to (the people) exist in harmony irrespective of various differences.
- dynamic (adjective) – liberal, advanced, forward-looking/forward-thinking.
- lure (verb) – tempt, attract, persuade/coax.
- credentials (noun) – achievements, capability, accomplishments.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Sword against pen) – Jul 18, 2019: