The Hindu Editorial (Suu Kyi again) – Nov 16, 2020
The National League for Democracy’s landslide victory in the November 8 general election in Myanmar indicates that a vast majority… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Suu Kyi again) – Nov 16, 2020.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Suu Kyi again) – Nov 16, 2020:
- mandate (noun) – approval, acceptance, ratification.
- assertive (adjective) – confident, decisive, firm, determined.
- transition (noun) – change.
- landslide (noun) – decisive (victory), runaway (victory), overwhelming majority.
- bulwark (noun) – protector, guard, supporter.
- iron fist/hand (noun) – used in reference to the exercise of power with firmness.
- National League for Democracy (NLD) (noun) – a political party in Myanmar, currently serving as the governing party. Founded on 27 September 1988, it has become one of the most influential parties in Myanmar’s pro-democracy movement
- Union Solidarity and Development Party (USDP) (noun) – an opposition political party in Myanmar which was registered on 2 June 2010; a Burmese political party founded with the active aid of Myanmar’s ruling military junta.
- military junta (noun) – a government led committee of military leaders. A military junta takes over the government by force.
- so far (phrase) – until now, up to the present, up to this point.
- icon (noun) – famous person, celebrity.
- spearhead (verb) – lead, head (an movement/protest); be in the forefront of.
- bar (verb) – prohibit, debar, forbid, ban.
- lever (noun) – a way of pressurizing someone into doing something; handle.
- confront (verb) – face, tackle, deal with, grapple with (a problem/difficulty).
- outsized (adjective) – huge, very large, massive.
- public (adjective) – open, unrestricted; known.
- defence (noun) – protection, shielding, safeguarding; security.
- lead to (verb) – cause, give rise to, result in, bring on.
- exodus (noun) – mass departure, evacuation, leaving/exit.
- dent (verb) – diminish, reduce, undermine.
- critic (noun) – censurer, attacker, fault-finder.
- complexity (noun) – complication, problem, difficulty.
- dynamics (noun) – basic/fundamental cause or force which triggers change within a system.
- preserve (verb) – protect, safeguard, maintain.
- bloc (noun) – alliance, association, union.
- reserve (verb) – make a reservation for, arrange for, secure (for a particular person).
- amendment (noun) – revision, alteration, change, modification.
- campaign (noun) – an organized effort which seeks to influence the decision making progress within a specific group.
- ethnic (adjective) – relating to a population subgroup (cultural, national, traditional/folk) with a common national or cultural tradition.
- rebel (adjective) – revolutionary, insurgent, rebellious, dissenting/agitating.
- reach out (phrasal verb) – contact someone to obtain/offer help/assistance/cooperation.
- popular (adjective) – public, societal, social.
- civilian (adjective) – non-military.
- establishment (noun) – a powerful group within a particular area of activity.
- dictatorship (noun) – totalitarianism, absolute rule, autocracy.
- unsurprising (adjective) – to be expected, predictable, anticipated.
- political capital (noun) – it refers to the goodwill, trust and influence that politicians earn or build up with the public through the pursuit of policies that people like or respect.
- junta (noun) – a military group that takes over the government by force.
- decisive (adjective) – deciding, conclusive, determining; resolute, firm, determined.
- buffer (noun) – cushion, protection, bulwark/barricade.
- address (verb) – deal with, handle, tackle, grapple with.
- allegation (noun) – charge, accusation, indictment.
- genocide (noun) – mass murder, massacre, racial killing.
- walk the talk (phrase) – to do the things you have said you would do.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Suu Kyi again) – Nov 16, 2020: