The Hindu Editorial (Special no longer) – Apr 02, 2021
Hong Kong, China’s Special Administrative Region (SAR), has served as the mainland’s most important gateway to the world for the past 24 years. Since its handover from British rule in 1997,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Special no longer) – Apr 02, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (Special no longer) – Apr 02, 2021:
- keen on (adjective) – interested in, wanting to do something, eager for, hungry for.
- tighten (verb) – make stricter, make more rigorous, make more stringent, stiffen, toughen.
- grip (noun) – control, power, hold.
- tighten your grip on something (phrase) – start to control something more strictly.
- Special Administrative Region (SAR) (noun) – a region in China that has a high level of autonomy. There are two SAR’s in China, Hong Kong and Macau.
- serve (verb) – do, perform; function/act as.
- gateway (noun) – doorway, entrance; a means of achieving something.
- handover (noun) – transferral, change.
- defy (verb) – disregard, ignore, disobey; resist, take a stand against, confront.
- one country two systems policy (noun) – the One Country Two Systems policy was originally proposed by Chinese communist leader Deng Xiaoping shortly after he took the reins of the country in the late 1970s. Deng’s plan was to unify China and Taiwan under the One Country Two Systems policy. He promised high autonomy to Taiwan. Under Deng’s plan, the Taiwan could follow Chinese capitalist economic system, run a separate administration and keep its own army but under Chinese sovereignty. (Courtesy : The Hindu)
- autonomy (noun) – independence, freedom.
- rambunctious (adjective) – unrestrained, uncontrollable, ungovernable.
- noisy (adjective) – vociferous, clamorous, tumultuous, talkative.
- pro-democracy (noun) – in support of democracy.
- perhaps (adverb) – maybe, possibly.
- judiciary (noun) – judges.
- the judiciary (noun) – a branch of government in which judicial power is vested.
- stark (adjective) – clear, distinct, evident, obvious, striking.
- contrast (noun) – difference, dissimilarity, contradiction.
- (Chinese) Communist Party (CCP) (noun) – also known as the Communist Party of China (CPC); it is the founding and ruling political party of modern China, officially known as the People’s Republic of China (PRC).
- deal a blow (phrase) – harm, upset, or shock someone.
- blow (noun) – shock, surprise; setback/misfortune.
- Standing Committee of China’s National People’s Congress (NPCSC) (noun) – the National People’s Congress (NPC) is China’s top legislative body. The Standing Committee of China’s National People’s Congress (NPCSC) is the permanent body of the National People’s Congress (NPC) of the People’s Republic of China. Both the NPC and the NPCSC exercise the legislative power of the state.
- sweeping (adjective) – comprehensive, all-inclusive, all-embracing, far-reaching.
- electoral (adjective) – relating to electors/voters.
- significantly (adverb) – notably, importantly, seriously, crucially.
- (SAR’s) Legislative Council (LegCo) (noun) – the legislative body for SAR’s (Hong Kong and Macau).
- promulgate (verb) – enact, pass, approve, lay down, stipulate, formulate.
- annex (verb) – add, attach, join.
- Basic Law (Hong Kong) (noun) – The “one country, two systems” principle is enshrined in a document called the Basic Law – Hong Kong’s mini-constitution. That came into effect on 1 July 1997, the day British rule ended and the territory was returned to China. That agreement is only valid for 50 years.
- the legislature (noun) – a deliberative body of persons, usually elective, who are empowered to make, change, or repeal the laws of a country or state.
- broadly (adverb) – generally, usually, mainly.
- pro-establishment (noun as modifier) – a person/group supporting the government.
- thereby (adverb) – as a result of that.
- in perpetuity (phrase) – forever, for always, for all time.
- establishment (noun) – formation, creation, setting up.
- Candidate Eligibility Review Committee (Hong Kong) (noun) – It is set up to review and confirm the eligibility of candidates contesting in an election for Hong Kong’s Legislative Council (LegCo).
- deem (verb) – consider, regard as, view as; think.
- patriotic (adjective) – nationalistic, loyalist, loyal.
- patriot (noun) – nationalist, loyalist, flag-waver.
- administer (verb) – govern, rule, manage.
- silence (verb) – suppress, quell, repress, muffle.
- stringent (adjective) – strict, severe, harsh, tough, rigorous, draconian.
- National Security Law (for Hong Kong) (noun) – a new national security law for Hong Kong that would prohibit “acts of political secession (separation from a federation), subversion (overthrow/undermining government), sedition (illegal rebellion against the government) that seriously threaten national security and foreign intervention”.
- universal suffrage/franchise (noun) – the right of citizens in a given society who are entitled to vote in an election without the discrimination of caste, class, colour, religion or sex.
- backing (noun) – support.
- end up (phrasal verb) – come/appear, find oneself (to a particular course of action in the end).
- count for little (phrase) – if something counts for little, it does not have little value.
- in place (phrase) – established, set up.
- assuage (verb) – suppress, smother, stifle, quench, quell, check.
- hearts and minds (phrase) – used in reference to emotional and intellectual support.
- representative government/representative democracy (noun) – a government where citizens elect people to represent them and make laws on their behalf, instead of always voting directly on laws and other government actions.
- give up (phrasal verb) – stop, discontinue, abandon, renounce, forgo.
- perception (noun) – impression, observation, thought, belief.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
The Hindu Editorial (Special no longer) – Apr 02, 2021: