The Hindu Editorial (Overseeing oversights) – Apr 02, 2021
India’s small savings instruments witnessed unprecedented overnight volatility in rates this week. On Wednesday evening, the Budget division in the Department of Economic Affairs… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Overseeing oversights) – Apr 02, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (Overseeing oversights) – Apr 02, 2021:
- oversee (verb) – supervise, be in charge of, be responsible for, look after, keep an eye on, inspect.
- oversight (noun) – mistake, error, blunder, fault, lapse; carelessness, inattention, neglect, negligence.
- cut (noun) – reduction, decrease, lessen, lessening.
- U-turn (noun) – about-turn, a reversal of policy, change of mind/plan, about-face.
- defer (verb) – postpone, put off, delay, hold off, put back.
- intent (adjective) – purpose, intention, objective.
- instrument (noun) – scheme, system (to achieve/attain something).
- witness (verb) – see, observe, view, notice.
- unprecedented (adjective) – not done or experienced before.
- overnight (adjective) – instant, prompt, immediate, sudden, quick; swift, expeditious.
- volatility (noun) – unpredictability, instability, unreliability.
- downwards (adverb) – toward a lower level.
- quarter (noun) – a period of three months (considered as one-fourth of a year).
- basis point (BPS) (noun) – a unit of measure used in finance to describe the percentage change in the value or rate of a financial instrument. One basis point is equivalent to 0.01% (1/100th of a percent). Used for measuring change in interest rate/yield.
- Public Provident Fund (PPF) (noun) – a savings-cum-tax-saving instrument in India, introduced by the National Savings Institute of the Ministry of Finance in 1968. It is one of the most popular long-term (a lock-in period of 15 years) saving-cum-investment products, mainly due to its combination of safety, returns, and tax savings.
- peg (at) (verb) – fix, set, hold, limit (a price, rate, or amount) at a particular level.
- refrain from (verb) – stop oneself, abstain, desist from, hold back.
- tweak (verb) – adjust, modify, alter, change.
- effect (verb) – cause, bring about, cause (to happen/occur), produce.
- prune (verb) – reduce, cut, decrease, diminish.
- rate cut (noun) – reduction in the interest rate.
- status quo (noun) – the present situation, the current state, the existing state of affairs.
- reinstate (verb) – bring back, restore, put back, return to the previous position.
- lead to (verb) – result in, cause, bring about, produce, make happen, give rise to.
- competent (adjective) – qualified, empowered, authorized; suitable, appropriate; accomplished, skilful.
- key (verb) – enter (data/information) using keyboard.
- inadvertently (adverb) – unintentionally, unwittingly.
- amidst (preposition) – amid, in the middle of; during.
- flurry (noun) – spate, series, succession.
- last minute (adjective) – careless, slapdash, disorganized, unmethodical, unsystematic.
- bureaucracy (noun) – officials (in the administration, government, the establishment) as a group.
- security (noun) – investments, shares, holdings, securities, equities, bonds.
- tenure (noun) – term, time, period.
- deduce (verb) – come to understand, understand, assume; conclude, come to the conclusion.
- the executive (noun) – the executive is a branch of government that enforces the law as written by the legislature and interpreted by the judiciary.
- implications (noun) – consequence/outcome, ramification, repercussion.
- extant (noun) – existing, present.
- clinching (adjective) – decisive/conclusive, final, key.
- brazen (it) out (phrasal verb) – to act or behave confidently & shamelessly (even after doing something wrong & also by not admitting that); put a bold face on it, be defiant, be unashamed.
- jibe (noun) – insult, insulting or unkind remark, barb.
- inflation (noun) – simply meaning “cost of living”; increase of price level of goods & services and vice versa decrease of currency value.
- soaring (adjective) – rising, increasing (quickly).
- can ill afford (phrase) – to prevent something from happening because it would be embarrassing and cause problems (if it happens).
- yield (verb) – afford, provide/give, produce.
- talking point (noun) – subject, subject matter, issue, matter, point.
- squeezing (noun) – having a damaging effect on.
- brace up (phrasal verb) – be strong.
- Provident Fund (PF) (noun) – a government-managed savings scheme, where you invest your money and benefit from the accumulated interest over time. Salaried employees get this lump sum amount once they retire or exit from employment.
- rollback (noun) – withdrawal, pulling back, retreat; reduction, cut, decrease.
- post-haste (adverb) – as quickly as possible, as soon as possible, ASAP, without delay, very quickly.
- ad hocism (noun) – actions/measures to deal with specific & urgent issues/situations only.
- the central bank (noun) – The banking regulator of a county’s banking system. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is the central bank of India.
- deterrent (noun) – a person/thing that discourages an action and makes it difficult to do.
- mysterious (adjective) – puzzling, strange, peculiar.
- freeze (verb) – fix, hold; limit, restrict (at a level).
- pump price (noun) – the retail selling price of petrol/diesel (to the public).
- campaign (noun) – an organized effort that seeks to influence the decision making progress within a specific group.
- deregulated (adjective) – relating to the market where the government rules & restrictions are removed.
- pitch (noun) – talk-up.
virtually (adverb) – practically, almost, nearly.
- perennial (adjective) – everlasting/unending, endless, permanent.
- hit (verb) – affect badly, damage, ruin, have a negative effect on.
- on the same note (phrase) – likewise.
- code of conduct (noun) – a set of rules outlining the norms, rules, and responsibilities or proper practices of an individual party or an organisation.
- in force (phrase) – in effect, in operation, in action.
- deviation (noun) – departure, deflection, difference, variation.
- scrutiny (noun) – examination, inspection, investigation.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in a different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
The Hindu Editorial (Overseeing oversights) – Apr 02, 2021: