The Hindu Editorial (Saving lives) – Apr 20, 2021
After painfully negotiating numerous hurdles during the first wave that peaked in mid-September last year, India appears to have learnt little as a more ferocious second wave is ravaging the country. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Saving lives) – Apr 20, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (Saving lives) – Apr 20, 2021:
- negotiate (verb) – get over, get past, cross, pass over (a difficulty).
- hurdle (noun) – obstacle, difficulty, problem, barrier, impediment, obstruction, hindrance.
- ferocious (adjective) – fierce, savage, brutal.
- ravage (verb) – devastate, ruin, destroy, wreak havoc on, damage.
- scale up (phrasal verb) – increase, expand, augment; step up.
- accelerate (verb) – increase, rise, advance.
- unprecedented (adjective) – not done or experienced before.
- pace (noun) – speed, rate.
- lead to (verb) – result in, cause, bring on, give rise to.
- overwhelm (verb) – overload, overburden, beset, afflict/strain.
- scramble (verb) – struggle, hurry/hasten, rush (to do something to achieve a goal/result).
- vaccine (noun) – a biological preparation that improves immunity to a particular disease.
- rush (noun) – a sudden strong demand.
- convalescent (adjective) – recuperating, recovering, improving, getting better.
- convalescent plasma (therapy) (noun) – it outlines the steps required to collect convalescent whole blood or plasma from COVID-19 disease recovered patients for transfusion to patients with early symptoms, as an empirical (observed) treatment modality (a particular method).
- in the absence of (phrase) – without.
- hysteria (noun) – madness, panic, irrationality, frenzy, wildness.
- trial (noun) – test, pilot study, experiment (phase 1, 2,3, and or human/clinical trial).
- shorten (verb) – reduce, lessen, decrease, diminish.
- Solidarity trial (noun) – It is an international clinical trial to help find an effective treatment for COVID-19, launched by the World Health Organization and partners. It is one of the largest international randomized trials for COVID-19 treatments, enrolling almost 12 000 patients in 500 hospital sites in over 30 countries.
- mortality (noun) – (in a particular time/for a cause) the rate/number of death.
- ventilation (noun) – the supplying of fresh air to a room.
- substantial (adjective) – considerable, significant, useful.
- intravenous (adjective) – taking place/administered within veins.
- administer (verb) – dispense, provide, give, apply (a drug/vaccine).
- acute (adjective) – severe, intense, serious.
- protocol (noun) – procedure, method, system.
- moderate (adjective) – average, modest, medium.
- steroid (noun) – a type of chemical substance (hormones) found in our body. Steroids can be artificially introduced into our bodies to improve our strength.
- ventilator (noun) – a respirator, a device (used for a patient to breathe).
- respiratory (adjective) – relating to or affecting breathing (or organs of breathing).
- highlight (verb) – underline, underscore, emphasize, call attention to.
- stretch (verb) – put a strain on, put great demands on, overtax, overextend.
- augment (verb) – increase, enlarge, expand.
- reliance on (noun) – confidence in, dependence, belief in.
- instal (verb) – plant, establish, position, put in place.
- isolation (noun) – a complete separation from others of a person known or reasonably believed to be infected with communicable diseases.
- play a part/role (phrase) – contribute to, be instrumental in, be a factor in.
- NITI Aayog (noun) – The National Institution for Transforming India, also called NITI Aayog, was formed via a resolution of the Union Cabinet on January 1, 2015. NITI Aayog is the premier policy ‘Think Tank’ of the Government of India, providing both directional and policy inputs. (NITI Aayog replaced “The Planning Commission” – an institution in the Government of India established in 1950, which formulated India’s Five-Year Plans, among other functions to oversee the country’s economic and social development). (Think tank is a panel of experts who provide advice and ideas on political, social or economic issues).
- tier (noun) – grade, level.
- unlikely (adjective) – doubtful, implausible, improbable, questionable.
- prudent (adjective) – wise, sensible, careful/ far-sighted.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in a different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
The Hindu Editorial (Saving lives) – Apr 20, 2021: