The Hindu Editorial (Running for President) – Sep 28, 2019
In fielding Sajith Premadasa, Sri Lanka’s United National Party (UNP) has chosen arguably its strongest candidate to take on former Defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa in the presidential election to be held on November 16. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Running for President)- Sep 28, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Running for President) – Sep 28, 2019:
- arguably (adverb) – possibly, conceivably, maybe.
- take on (phrasal verb) – compete against, oppose, confront.
- back (verb) – support, endorse, uphold.
- reckon (verb) – believe, think, consider.
- lineage (noun) – ancestry, family/parentage, origin.
- draw from (phrasal verb) – obtain, get, acquire.
- elite (noun) – high society people; the group of most powerful people in a society.
- separatist (noun) – dissident, nonconformist, sectarian.
- grassroots (plural noun) – the most basic level of an organisation.
- mobilise (verb) – organize, call up, bring into play/generate.
- step aside (phrasal verb) – leave, quit, resign/withdraw.
- unseat (verb) – oust, remove from office, topple, overthrow.
- revival (noun) – improvement, re-establishment; restoration/comeback.
- ethnic (adjective) – relating to a population subgroup (cultural, national, traditional/folk) with a common national or cultural tradition.
- reconciliation (noun) – restoration of harmony, resolution, compromise.
- incumbent (noun) – current/present holder of a post/position.
- marginalise (verb) – treat as insignificant, treat as unimportant, neglected.
- heyday (noun) – prime time, peak period, crowning/high point.
- parting of the ways (phrase) – separation, splitting up, breaking up.
- reinstate (verb) – bring back, restore, return to power/position.
- walk away (phrasal verb) – leave, abandon, withdraw.
- prospects (noun) – chances, opportunities, possibilities.
- dent (noun) – reduction, depletion, deduction.
- perennial (adjective) – everlasting/unending, endless, permanent.
- jockey (verb) – compete, contend, vie, fight/struggle.
- scrap (verb) – abandon, cancel, abolish/throw out.
- multi-ethnic (adjective) – constituting several ethnic groups.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Running for President) – Sep 28, 2019: