The Hindu Editorial (President under probe) – Apr 30, 2020
Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro’s decision to sack the country’s federal police chief has come back to haunt him. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (President under probe) – Apr 30, 2020.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (President under probe) – Apr 30, 2020:
- setback (noun) – problem, difficulty, issue.
- sack (verb) – remove, dismiss, discharge, lay off (from the office/job).
- haunt (verb) – disturb, trouble, torture, beset.
- ally (noun) – associate, confederate, partner, supporter.
- Attorney-General (noun) – The chief legal advisor/officer of a nation (state).
- seek (verb) – request, ask for, appeal for.
- authorisation (noun) – permission, approval, consent/sanction.
- allegation (noun) – charge, accusation, indictment.
- reportedly (adverb) – allegedly, purportedly, supposedly.
- alleged (adjective) – claimed, professed, purported, reported.
- dissemination (noun) – spreading, circulation, distribution.
- ties (noun) – connection, link, relationship, attachment.
- intelligence (noun) – (military &political) information.
- coronavirus (CoV) (noun) – a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases. common signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties. In more severe cases, infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death. (Courtesy: WHO)
- outbreak (noun) – sudden appearance/occurrence, outburst, epidemic.
- under fire (phrase) – being attacked/criticized strongly.
- incessant (adjective) – continuous, non-stop, unending, relentless.
- rival (noun) – opponent, nemesis, adversary; counterpart.
- activist (noun) – relating to a person who supports a political or societal change/cause.
- environmentalist (noun) – conservationist, preservationist, eco-activist.
- trigger (verb) – cause, give rise to, bring about, prompt.
- perhaps (adverb) – maybe, possibly.
- relatively (adverb) – comparatively, proportionately, by comparison; somewhat.
- collude (verb) – collaborate, cooperate (secretly); conspire.
- prosecutor (noun) – a lawyer who presents the government’s case against someone accused of a crime.
- convict (verb) – declare guilty, give a sentence.
- far-right (adjective) – relating to the extreme right wing of a political party or group; extremely conservative, rightist.
- COVID-19 (noun) – coronavirus disease 2019.
- containment (noun) – an act of keeping something (harmful) under control (it means quickly identifying cases of coronavirus through testing, placing infected individuals in isolation, tracking who infected persons might have been in contact with and potentially quarantining those who came into contact with infection so that the disease doesn’t continue to spread).
- contract (verb) – decline, decrease, diminish, reduce.
- fall (noun) – decline, slump, downfall, collapse.
- rosy (adjective) – promising, optimistic, hopeful, favourable.
- projection (noun) – forecast, prediction, estimation/reckoning, prognosis.
- approval rating (noun) – a measure of people’s approval of a political leader.
- left-wing (adjective) – relating to the extreme left wing of a political party or group; socialist, communist, leftist.
- campaign (noun) – a set of organized actions to achieve an ambition/intention; operation, movement.
- impeach (verb) – charge or accuse/indict (a public official) with a crime done while in office.
- impeachment (noun) – the act of charging or accusing (a public official) with a crime done while in office.
- point to (verb) – indicate, suggest, signify.
- go through (phrasal verb) – undergo, experience, face, suffer.
- grave (adjective) – terrible, awful, dreadful, serious, crucial, critical.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (President under probe) – Apr 30, 2020: