The Hindu Editorial (Power play) – Jul 04, 2019
With two MLAs of the Congress resigning from the Karnataka Assembly,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Power play) – Jul 04, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Power play) – Jul 04, 2019:
- defection (noun) – desertion, absconding, decamping.
- horse-trading (noun) – it is normally used to indicate a hard & shrewd (clever) negotiation/bargaining between two bargaining (political) parties to show an understanding of the problem.
- pull down (phrasal verb) – remove, ruin/wreak, destroy/devastate.
- under way (phrase) – going on, continuing, in progress.
- sit/wait in the wings (phrase) – someone who is not active at this time, but ready to do something very soon.
- perfect (verb) – improve, refine/hone, brush up/fine-tune, bring to perfection.
- lure (verb) – tempt, attract, induce.
- stem from (verb) – emerge from, originate from, emanate from.
- spectacular (adjective) – impressive, magnificent, outstanding/remarkable.
- reconcile to (verb) – accept, get used to, accommodate/adjust oneself to.
- manoeuvre (verb) – manage, organize, arrange (something tactfully).
- the time is ripe (phrase) – an appropriate/convenient time has come.
- strike (noun) – a sudden attack/assault.
- disenchantment (noun) – disappointment, dissatisfaction, discontent.
- stormy (adjective) – turbulent, volatile, intense/tumultuous.
- concede (verb) – give up, hand over, sacrifice; allow, grant/give.
- join hands with (phrase) – work together with.
- opportunism (noun) – expediency/exploitation, taking advantage, pragmatism.
- inherent (adjective) – intrinsic/innate; basic/fundamental, implicit.
- contradiction (noun) – disagreement, opposition, inconsistency; rebuttal/negation.
- face-to-face (adjective) – direct, personally, head on.
- dimension (noun) – aspect, feature, element.
- yearn (verb) – long, desire, wish.
- cross over (phrasal verb) – join, unite, attach/connect.
- howsoever (conjunction) – in whatever way, however.
- meagre (adjective) – limited, little, modest.
- divergent (adjective) – differing, varying, dissimilar/contrasting.
- pay the price (phrase) – to go through the unpleasant outcome of something which you have done earlier.
- glue (noun) – adhesive, fixative, paste/gum.
- rebel (verb) – rise up, revolt; defy/oppose/disobey.
- rout (noun) – defeat, overwhelming (very large/massive/huge) defeat.
- lend itself to (verb) – be suitable for, be applicable for, be adaptable to.
- brazen (adjective) – bold and shameless; unashamed, unabashed.
- rent-seeking (noun) – a behavior which does not create economic gains for society, instead it helps a company/organisation/individual using their resources to get economic gain.
- overshadow (verb) – conceal, obscure, outshine/eclipse.
- turmoil (noun) – trouble, disturbance, upheaval/disorder.
- hiatus (noun) – pause, break, interval.
- ideological (adjective) – dogmatic, doctrinal.
- reorientation (noun) – the act of changing the focus/direction.
- address (verb) – attend to, tackle, deal with.
- livelihood (adjective) – source of income, means of support, living, subsistence.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 The Hindu Editorial (Power play) – Jul 04, 2019: