The Hindu Editorial (Mumbai marooned) – Jul 04, 2019
Mumbai once again struggled to stay afloat after the first heavy spell of rain this year,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Mumbai marooned) – Jul 04, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Mumbai marooned) – Jul 04, 2019:
- maroon (verb) – strand, leave isolated, abandon.
- metropolis (noun) – a big city/a large & busy city.
- afloat (adjective) – out of danger/difficulty; above water.
- put a brave front on (phrase) – to face a very difficult situation with high spirits/optimism.
- resilience (noun) – strength, toughness; the capacity to recover quickly from difficulties.
- tattered (adjective) – falling to pieces/worn, deteriorated, in poor condition.
- take a toll (phrase) – to cause suffering/loss/damage to someone/something.
- weigh down (phrasal verb) – trouble, worry/bother, disturb.
- give way (to) (phrase) – collapse, crumble/disintegrate, fall in.
- catastrophe (noun) – destruction, damage, disaster.
- paralyse (adjective) – disable, immobilize, make powerless.
- baseline (noun) – an analysis that describes the situation prior to an intervention, against which progress can be assessed or comparisons made during the life of a project or programme.
- incur (verb) – suffer, sustain/bring upon oneself; be subject to.
- resolve (noun) – determination, resolution, decision.
- rampant (adjective) – widespread, present everywhere/pervasive, unrestrained/out of control.
- integrity (noun) – unity, coherence, togetherness.
- erratic (adjective) – irregular, unsteady, unreliable.
- insight (noun) – perception, awareness, discernment/understanding.
- prolonged (adjective) – continuous, lengthy, unending.
- storm water (noun) – inundated/flood water produced after a heavy rainfall.
- deluge (noun) – severe flood, torrent; downpour/torrential rain.
- consensus (noun) – an idea or opinion that is shared by all the people in a group. agreement, concurrence.
- choke (verb) – clog, block, obstruct.
- sclerotic (adjective) – rigid, unresponsive, low-spirited, uncommunicative.
- rely on (phrasal verb) – depend on; resort to, have recourse to.
- paradigm (noun) – model, pattern/example; world view.
- seasonality index (noun) – a forecasting tool used to determine demand for various commodities or goods in a given marketplace over the course of a typical year (or a shorter time period).
- relatively (adverb) – quite, comparatively/proportionately; to a certain extent.
- window (noun) – opportunity, chance, opening.
- climate change (noun) – a long-term change in the Earth’s climate, or of a region on Earth (Courtesy: NASA).
- call for (phrasal verb) – require, publicly ask/necessitate, demand.
- ecological (adjective) – relating to the branch of biology which studies the interactions among organisms and their environment.
- drought (noun) – lack/dry spell, lack of rain, shortage of water.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Mumbai marooned) – Jul 04, 2019: