The Hindu Editorial (No room for panic) – Feb 03, 2020
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (No room for panic) – Feb 03, 2020:
- no room (noun) – no scope (for something to happen).
- coronavirus (CoV)(noun) – a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases. common signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties. In more severe cases, infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death. (Courtesy: WHO)
- novel coronavirus (nCoV) (noun) – a new strain (type/variety) coronavirus that has not been previously identified in humans. (Courtesy: WHO)
- outbreak (noun) – sudden appearance/occurrence, outburst, epidemic.
- fatality (noun) – death, casualty, mortality/loss.
- toll (noun) – number, count, sum total (of deaths/casualties).
- scenario (noun) – course of events, situation.
- pathogenic (adjective) – relating to a bacteria/virus that causes disease.
- strain (noun) – variety, kind, type.
- bird flu (noun) – it is also known as influenza A or the avian flu. It primarily infects birds, but can pose health risks to people.
- H5N1 (noun) – a type of influenza virus that causes a highly infectious, severe respiratory disease in birds called avian influenza (or “bird flu”).
- epicentre (noun) – the main point of unpleasant or problematic situation.
- exhibit (verb) – show a symptom/sign.
- overt (adjective) – clear, visible, noticeable/unconcealed.
- contact tracing (noun) – it is defined as the identification and follow-up of persons who may have come into contact with a person infected with the virus.
- incubation (noun) – the process of incubating (a very initial development stage).
- screening (noun) – examination, testing (of a group of people for the symptoms of a disease).
- thermal screening (noun) – a process of checking the body temperature of the person and show if he/she has symptoms of viral infections.
- time-tested (adjective) – well-established.
- protective gear (noun) – safety gear; protective clothing, helmets, masks or other garments or equipment designed to protect the wearer’s body from injury/disease.
- attend to (verb) – look after, care for, help.
- whatsoever (adverb) – at all.
- droplet (infection) (noun) – an infection transmitted from one individual to another by droplets of moisture expelled from the upper respiratory tract through sneezing or coughing.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (No room for panic) – Feb 03, 2020: