The Hindu Editorial (Cognisant of constraints) – Feb 03, 2020
The interim report of the 15th Finance Commission, tabled in Parliament on Saturday,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Cognisant of constraints) – Feb 03, 2020.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Cognisant of constraints) – Feb 03, 2020:
- cognisant (adjective) – aware, well informed about, familiar with.
- constraint (noun) – restriction, limitation, restraint.
- interim (adjective) – provisional, transitional, temporary.
- rock (the) boat (phrase) – do something to disturb (the present/stable condition).
- devolution (noun) – distribution, transfer, decentralization, delegation.
- table (verb) – present, propose, submit, put forward.
- preserve (verb) – uphold, maintain, protect.
- predecessor (noun) – previous holder of the post; forerunner, precursor, antecedent.
- belying present participle of belie (verb) – misrepresent, falsify, distort.
- sizeable (adjective) – substantial, considerable, significant.
- vertical (adjective) – upright, perpendicular, straight.
- divisible pool (noun) – the taxes of the central government that it should share with the state governments in accordance with the recommendations of the Finance Commission.
- accrue (verb) – accumulate, collect, gather.
- erstwhile (adjective) – old, previous, former, then.
- notional (adjective) – ideal, supposed, assumed.
- horizontal distribution/devolution (noun) – the allocation between the States of the respective shares of (proceeds) earnings. whereas, vertical distribution/devolution means the distribution of the net earnings (proceeds) of taxes of the Union between the Union and the States.
- aggregate (adjective) – total, combined, whole.
- criterion (noun) – basis, standard, norm. (criteria is the plural form of criterion).
- rejig (verb) – reorganize, rearrange, alter.
- human capital (noun) – the economic value of the abilities and qualities of labour that influence productivity.
- weight (noun) – importance, significance, value/power.
- switch (noun) – change, move, shift.
- address (verb) – attend to, tackle, deal with.
- voice (verb) – express, communicate, mention, state.
- switch (noun) – change, move, shift, transition.
- with the exception of (phrase) – except, excluding, not including, omitting.
- notably (adverb) – especially, particularly, primarily.
- shrink (verb) – lessen, reduce, decrease.
- flag (verb) – indicate, identify, point out.
- dog (verb) – trouble, disturb, worry.
- shortfall (noun) – deficit, inadequacy/deficiency; shortcoming/defect.
- volatility (noun) – fluctuation, inconsistency, unpredictability.
- granularity (noun) – the state/quality of including a lot of small details.
- a share of the pie (phrase) – a slice of the pie, a piece of the pie; a portion of something available can be distributed.
- vex (verb) – upset, trouble, disturb.
- last-mile (noun) – a phrase widely used in the telecommunications, cable television and internet industries to refer to the final leg of the telecommunications networks that deliver telecommunication services to retail end-users (customers).
- fragmented (adjective) – separated, isolated, disintegrated/collapsed/divided.
- off-budget (adjective) – not provided for or included in the regular government budget.
- parastatal (noun) – a company/organisation that is controlled wholly or partly by the government.
- liabilities (noun) – financial obligation.
- earmark (verb) – designate, reserve, set aside.
- time-bound (adjective) – related to a certain moment or era in time.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 The Hindu Editorial (Cognisant of constraints) – Feb 03, 2020: