The Hindu Editorial (Net loss) – Jul 03, 2021
The digital divide in India’s school education system, reflected by the absence of computers and Internet access on campus,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Net loss) – Jul 03, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (Net loss) – Jul 03, 2021:
- digital divide (noun) – the gap between the people who access computer/the internet and those who don’t access them.
- reflect (verb) – indicate, show, reveal, exhibit, disclose, manifest.
- absence (noun) – lack, unavailability, deficiency.
- starkly (adverb) – clearly, distinctly, strikingly.
- Unified District Information System for Education Plus (UDISE+) (noun) – Unified District Information System for Education (UDISE) initiated in 2012-13 integrating DISE for elementary and secondary education is one of the largest Management Information Systems on School Education covering more than 1.5 million schools, more then 9.6 million teachers and more then 264 million children. UDISE+ is an updated and improved version of UDISE. The entire system is now online and has been collecting data in real-time since 2018-19.
- pre-pandemic (noun) – before the pandemic.
- pandemic (noun) – the worldwide spread of a new disease; The illness spreads around the world and typically affects a large number of people across a wide area.
- infrastructure (noun) – the basic physical or organisational structure for something (to function properly).
- advent (noun) – arrival, appearance, emergence, occurrence.
- hybrid learning (noun) – an educational model where some students attend class in-person, while others join the class virtually from home.
- coronavirus (CoV) (noun) – a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases. common signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath, and breathing difficulties. In more severe cases, the infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure, and even death. (Courtesy: WHO)
- adjunct (noun) – companion, accessory, supplement, complement.
- engaging (adjective) – attractive, pleasing, pleasant, agreeable, likeable, captivating.
- rely on (phrasal verb) – depend on; resort to, have recourse to.
- jeopardy (noun) – danger, peril, risk.
- possess (verb) – own, have.
- in the dark (phrase) – unaware of, ignorant of, uninformed about.
- fare (verb) – progress, get on, manage.
- metric (noun) – standard, criterion, benchmark.
- deficit (noun) – shortfall, deficiency, shortage.
- deep (adjective) – profound, intense, extreme.
- asymmetry (noun) – lack of equality, non-uniformity, unevenness, lack of symmetry.
- acknowledge (verb) – admit, accept, recognize, realize.
- deprivation (noun) – poverty, impoverishment, privation, hardship, destitution, distress.
- inability (noun) – incapability, incapacity, helplessness.
- in-person (adjective) – relating to an event/class where people/student physically present together.
- scholar (noun) – academic, intellectual, expert/pundit, learned person.
- multi-dimensional (adjective) – involving several dimensions (aspects/features).
- inculcate (verb) – introduce, instil, infuse, induce.
virtually (adverb) – in a way of performing a task with the use of computer, especially over a network.
- abate (verb) – decline, reduce, decrease.
- multi-layered (adjective) – having many layers.
- any longer (phrase) – from now on.
- explore (verb) – consider, check out, look into.
- National Broadband Mission (NBM) (noun) – This Mission is launched by The Minister for Communications, Law & Justice and Electronics and Information Technology, Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad on 17 Dec, 2019. The vision of the NBM is to fast track growth of digital communications infrastructure, bridge the digital divide, facilitate digital empowerment and inclusion and provide affordable and universal access of broadband for all. Broadband access to all villages by 2022 is one of the objectives of the Mission.
- deprive of (verb) – dispossess, strip of, deny, prevent from having.
- upcoming (adjective) – coming, arriving, approaching.
- bandwidth (noun) – transmission capacity/speed.
- bridge the gulf/gap (phrase) – try to find a way to reduce the gap and bring the two separate viewpoints together.
- recycling (noun) – the process of collecting and processing materials that would otherwise be thrown away as trash and turning them into new products.
- slip/fall through the net (phrase) – go unnoticed, go undealt with; be neglected, be ignored, be missed, be overlooked (by a system).