The Hindu Editorial (Moribund governance) – Jan 06, 2021
Even to those familiar with the anarchy that characterises India’s public spaces, the collapse of a newly-built shelter in a crematorium in Muradnagar,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Moribund governance) – Jan 06, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Moribund governance) – Jan 06, 2021:
- moribund (adjective) – declining, waning, dying, decaying, stagnant/weak.
- governance (noun) – the act of governing something; administration.
- underscore (verb) – underline, emphasize, highlight.
- audit (noun) – inspection, examination, assessment, investigation.
- anarchy (noun) – lawlessness, absence of government, disorder.
- characterise (verb) – identify, depict, describe.
- shelter (noun) – a place (with a roofed structure for temporary protection from rain); shed, gallery, portico.
- crematorium/crematoria (noun) – a place for the cremation of the dead (person). Cremation is a method of the final disposition of a dead body through burning.
- funeral (noun) – burial (ceremony), cremation, laying to rest.
- shelter (verb) – protect, keep safe, shield, cover.
- crumble (verb) – collapse, fall down, cave in, break down.
- distraught (adjective) – very worried, distressed, devastated, shattered.
- rite (noun) – ceremony, ritual, observance.
- fate (noun) – death, demise, end, doom.
- token (adjective) – symbolic.
- solatium (noun) – compensation.
- next of kin (noun) – closest relative, closest relation, closest family member.
- breadwinner (noun) – the primary or sole income earner in a family.
- alacrity (noun) – readiness, willingness, swiftness, promptness.
- besides (preposition/linking adverb) – in addition to, as well, apart from.
- destitute (adjective) – impoverished, poverty-stricken, poor, without a penny to one’s name.
- culpable (adjective) – guilty, at fault, accountable/responsible for misconduct.
- homicide (noun) – the killing of one human being by another human being; murder, killing, massacre.
- endanger (verb) – imperil, jeopardize, risk.
- National Security Act (NSA) (noun) – Put simply, the NSA empowers the Centre or a State government to detain a person to prevent him from acting in any manner prejudicial to national security. The government can also detain a person to prevent him from disrupting public order or for maintenance of supplies and services essential to the community. The maximum period for which one may be detained is 12 months. But the term can be extended if the government finds fresh evidence.
- favoured (adjective) – preferred.
- image (noun) – public perception/impression, persona, public face, character/reputation.
- enforcement (noun) – imposition, implementation, execution.
- seek (verb) – aim, try, attempt.
- demonstrate (verb) – show, prove, establish, indicate.
- time and again (phrase) – often, frequently, repeatedly.
- shoot down (phrasal verb) – gun down, hit with a bullet/missile.
- standing (noun) – status, reputation, social position.
- lack (verb) – be without, be lacking, be deprived of, be short of.
- transparency (noun) – clarity, straightforwardness, openness, honesty, unambiguity.
- yield (verb) – comply with, conform to, agree to, go along with, heed, pay attention to.
- quick fix (noun) – temporary solution/remedy.
- measure (noun) – procedure, step, course of action, programme.
- aid (verb) – facilitate, help, assist.
- deterrence (noun) – the act of deterring/stopping someone from doing something.
- extract (verb) – obtain, get, take; repeat, reproduce.
- cave in (phrasal verb) – collapse, fall down, crumble, disintegrate.
- appal (verb) – shock, horrify, dismal/distress greatly.
- premise (noun) – proposition, assumption, supposition.
- emphasise (verb) – draw attention to, put stress on, underscore, highlight.
- Article 21 (Constitution of India) (noun) – Protection of life and personal liberty. “No person shall be deprived of his life or personal liberty except according to a procedure established by law.”
- deplorable (adjective) – disgraceful, dishonourable, unacceptable.
- ambit (noun) – limits, scope, purview.
- inferior (adjective) – substandard, low-quality, low-grade, second-rate.
- favouritism (noun) – prejudice, partiality; unfairness, one-sidedness.
- laggard (noun) – slower, sluggish/stagnant, snail-paced.
- metric (noun) – a system (of measurement).
- transform (verb) – change, alter, modify, convert.
- rule of law (phrase) – it is described as “a principle of governance in which all persons, institutions and entities, public and private, including the State itself, are accountable to laws that are publicly promulgated, equally enforced and independently adjudicated, and which are consistent with international human rights norms and standards.
- horror (noun) – distress, dismay, shock.
- impel (verb) – compel, force, urge, pressurize, push, spur.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 The Hindu Editorial (Moribund governance) – Jan 06, 2021: