The Hindu Editorial (Mind the gap) – Apr 07, 2020
For millennia, people travelled for reasons of religion and trade, and in recent decades increasingly for pleasure too. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Mind the gap) – Apr 07, 2020.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Mind the gap) – Apr 07, 2020
- mind the gap (phrase) – warning/instruction given (particularly to alert commuter to be aware of the space between the metro train and the platform).
- millennia (noun) – plural form of millennium (a period of a thousand years).
- contagion (noun) – the spreading of a dangerous disease.
- humankind (noun) – humanity, the human race, people.
- pestilence (noun) – disease, epidemic/pandemic, infection.
- as far as (phrase) – to the degree/extent that.
- novel coronavirus (nCoV) (SARS-CoV-2) (noun) – a new strain (type/variety) coronavirus that has not been previously identified in humans. (Courtesy: WHO)
- until Recently (phrase) – up to an unspecified point in the past not long before now.
- outbreak (noun) – sudden appearance/occurrence(of a disease); outburst, epidemic.
- whirlwind (noun) – a busy, tumultuous (uncontrolled) activity or process.
- goad (verb) – motivate, encourage, stimulate/urge.
- hunger (noun) – desire, craving, thirst, appetite.
- at/on last count (phrase) – at the time when something was last counted.
- context (noun) – circumstances, conditions, situation.
- obfuscate (verb) – confuse, complicate, make unclear.
- deliberately (adverb) – intentionally, purposely, knowingly/wittingly.
- section (noun) – a particular group within a larger body of people.
- reinforce (verb) – strengthen, fortify, bolster up.
- prejudice (noun) – preconception; bigotry, intolerance, discrimination.
- xenophobia (noun) – Greek phrase meaning fear/hatred of foreigners; racism.
- perilous (adjective) – dangerous, risky, life-threatening.
- come under (phrasal verb) – be subjected to.
- congregation (noun) – gathering, assembly, meeting, conference.
- faithful (noun) – believers, communicants, adherents.
- turn out (phrasal verb) – transpire, emerge; happen/occur.
- epicentre (noun) – the main point of unpleasant or problematic situation.
- cluster (noun) – a group (of people considered as a unit).
- COVID-19 (noun) – coronavirus disease 2019.
- hostility (noun) – opposition, aversion, enmity, antipathy; unfriendliness, bitterness.
- brutally (adverb) – cruelly, savagely, ruthlessly.
- briefer (noun) – an official who is giving detailed information about something.
- volunteer (verb) – put forward, say, declare, submit/suggest (something without being asked).
- indeed (adverb) – in fact, actually, undeniably.
- activist (noun) – advocate, champion, supporter (of a political or societal change/cause).
- hotspot (noun) – a place of significant activity.
- containment (noun) – an act of keeping something (harmful) under control.
- mitigation (noun) – alleviation, reduction; lessening.
- defiantly (adverb) – disobediently, non-compliantly, uncooperatively, counter-actively, challengingly.
- contact tracing (noun) – it is defined as the identification and follow-up of persons who may have come into contact with a person infected with the virus.
- unconscionable (adjective) – unethical, immoral, unprincipled, wrong.
- folly (noun) – foolishness, stupidity, madness, irresponsibility, thoughtlessness.
- trigger (verb) – give rise to, bring about, prompt.
- avalanche (noun) – sudden arrival or happening of something (in very large quantities) at the same time.
- add fuel to the fire (phrase) – to make a bad situation worse; increase, magnify, amplify, augment, intensify, heighten (a difficult situation).
- communalism (noun) – adherence/obedience to one’s own ethnic group (against the principle/practice of living together in a wider society).
- douse (verb) – extinguish, put out, quench (a fire).
- smouldering (adjective) – burning without flame; fuming, simmering, festering (in a suppressed state).
- embers (noun) – glowing coal, burning wood.
- deepen (verb) – increase, intensify, exacerbate, aggravate, worsen.
- fissure (noun) – a state of incompatibility; disagreement, gap/crack/opening.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 The Hindu Editorial (Mind the gap) – Apr 07, 2020: