The Hindu Editorial (Local matters) – Sep 23, 2019
Politics is set to take the centre stage in national debates with the announcement of Assembly elections in Maharashtra and Haryana,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Local matters) – Sep 23, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Local matters) – Sep 23, 2019:
- livelihood (noun) – source of income, means of support, living, subsistence.
- lull (noun) – pause/respite, interval/break, suspension/cessation.
- combative (adjective) – aggressive, belligerent, argumentative/hawkish.
- ally (noun) – partner, supporter, accomplice/confederate.
- reap (verb) – receive, obtain, realize; harvest.
- audacious (verb) – bold, courageous, valiant.
- reinforce (verb) – strengthen, fortify, bolster up.
- disarray (noun) – disorder, confusion, disorganization.
- underlying (adjective) – fundamental, basic, primary.
- communalization (noun) – a social relationship based on a sense of belonging, such as family or nation.
- polity (noun) – a politically organized society (or state or unit).
- bastion (noun) – stronghold, bulwark, mainstay.
- dynastic (adjective) – relating to a dynasty (a family or line of rulers).
- vested interest (noun) – a personal interest in something to get benefit.
- strong-arm (adjective) – aggressive, forceful/coercive, oppressive.
- vulnerability (noun) – weakness/defencelessness, frailty, susceptibility.
- breakaway (modifier) – separatist, secessionist, dissenting (group).
- faction (noun) – group, wing/division, camp.
- grip (noun) – control, power/influence, hold.
- stir up (phrasal verb) – provoke, give rise to/cause, trigger.
- detention (noun) – confinement/incarceration, captivity, custody.
- undocumented (adjective) – not having the proper legal document.
- sought past and past participle of seek (verb) – try, attempt, aim.
- hollow out (verb) – remove, empty, cut out.
- infuse (verb) – add, impart, introduce.
- sagging (adjective) – declining, becoming weak.
- forthcoming (adjective) – imminent, impending, approaching/nearing.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 The Hindu Editorial (Local matters) – Sep 23, 2019: